what to do with soft jalapenos?

desirae1983November 9, 2011

I have a few hundred traveler jalapenos still on the plant that have gone bright red and squishy. Is there any use for them? Or do I have to toss them? They're very juicy and soft but not rotten.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
esox07

I would think you could process them almost any way you like. You could still dry them for sure. They will just be a bit softer and mushy when you finally do eat them but if they are not rotten, they should be fine....I would think. I had some Hot Hungarian Wax peppers get soft before I picked them but after slicing and canning them, I cannot tell any difference between them and the firmer ones.

Bookmark   November 9, 2011 at 2:12PM
2ajsmama

I wouldn't can anything that was "squishy". I did have some bell peppers that were getting a little wrinkled and soft, as well as some chiles that were just a teeny bit wrinkled, not smooth and crisp enough to pickle. I made jelly from them, didn't use the peppers themselves, just the juice, and didn't use the most wrinkled/soft parts of the bells, just the unwrinkled parts (though I figured slight wrinkling of the jals was OK for the ones I pureed - used firm ones for mincing to add to the pot later).

I plan on freezing the jals and serranos (as well as larger Ancho types) that are getting wrinkly. FWIW, pulling the plants and hanging them in the basement didn't really help them ripen - or at least, they didn't stay crisp while ripening.

The cayennes and thin-skinned/small peppers (like Thai) are going to be dehydrated.

Here is a link that might be useful: Shriveled pepper thread

Bookmark   November 9, 2011 at 7:21PM
smokemaster_2007

I'd dry them for powder.
Then use them for additions to other stuff-Chile,Rubs,sauces etc.

Bookmark   November 9, 2011 at 10:06PM
John11840(z6/CT)

You could also smoke them and have chipole.
John A

Bookmark   November 15, 2011 at 8:32AM
biscgolf

yep, smoke them and/or dry them.

Bookmark   November 15, 2011 at 9:42AM
More Discussions
Need advice on how to suspend shop lights.
So I bought the below metal shelving to house seedling...
peps_22
Problems Germinating Seeds
Hi Everyone, I used to be able to germinate seeds....
newmexmike
Show Your Seedlings
After all that work, gathering seeds, trying to germinate,...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
Northeast folks - when are you starting seeds?
Boston - planning on 3/1 (next Sunday!)
peps_22
Are you a patron of Padron peppers for tapas?
Or would that be 'tapas (appetizer) de padron a patronis'...
bragu_DSM 5
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™