Notes on the season as they come along

david52_gwSeptember 9, 2012

Yesterday, I emptied out one of my 10 gal containers where I grew peppers, putting 4 plants per/container. I have a couple dozen of these, so filling them with potting soil is a major expense, so I recycle all I can and am constantly trying to find less expensive fill material.

This spring I tried filling the bottom third of the containers with pine bark, raked up around the firewood pile. So all different sizes, some pieces bigger than my hand, some the size of marbles.

When I emptied the container, the bark was just laced with pepper roots, they obviously found something there they liked. Many of the bigger pieces were now soft enough that I could break them up with my hands.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
david52_gw

Yesterday was the Great '52 Hot Pepper Pickin' / Roastin' Fermentin' gala event, with 5 x 3 gallon buckets of the things to deal with.

End result is 5 x 1 qt zip lock bags with big roasted peppers, and two x 3 gallon crocks of food processed peppers, one red, one green, fermenting away.

When you chop up peppers, the volume really shrinks. For fermenting, freezing them before hand and then thawing the peppers is probably a good idea - it starts breaking down the cell walls .

Bookmark   September 21, 2012 at 4:26PM
More Discussions
Crops That Can Thrive At Lower Temps
Hey gardening geniuses.... glad to see most of us made...
garnergarden
RMG - How do I do it -- Where do I find it thread!
Hi all, I just thought I'd start a thread here for...
Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
Anybody bored...wanna play a guessing game?!
Trying to figure out what this bush is. This photo...
lkcrawford
Lettuce without direct sun?
Hi, everyone! I'm thinking of putting a raised Bed...
flowerridge
Holly, potatoes!
I tried to send you an email but apparently the mobile...
ZachS. z5 Littleton, CO
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™