Cuttings dipped in WHAT ??

saldutAugust 27, 2010

When you make rose-cuttings before you dip them in Rootone, I read that folks dip them in a solution to kill bacteria... alcohol ? bleach? peroxide ? how weak a solution ? what amt. of solution to water ? how long in the solution ?.... this has got me stumped and I appreciate any help on this...........thanks, sally

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
roselee z8b S.W. Texas

I came across an article that said to swish the rose cuttings very briefly in a weak solution of bleach to kill any fungus or bacteria that might be on the leaves. What is a weak solution is anybody's guess. I'd guess a couple of tablespoons of chlorine bleach to a half gal. of water.

Another recommendation was just to rinse the cuttings in plain water. That's what we did in a propagation class I took. They had a five gallon bucket of fresh water and we just dipped our cuttings in it and shook off the excess water.

Bookmark   September 20, 2010 at 3:41PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
saldut

Thanks roselee, don't know if you got my answer by E-mail so will answer here also... I never did find out the proportions of peroxide to use so just mixed up abt. 1/10 to water, I had also posted this query on the regular Rose Forum and did get some replies, were helpful, so I decided to try with the peroxide.... then I dipped in Rootone and then stuck them into Perlite and put the pop-top on it, I have spritzed it several times daily since the 14th when I did this, and so far they seem to have not yet died, when I tried before they would have either blacked from the top down or the bottom up, so I am keeping my fingers crossed........LOL............... Thanks for the reply, sally

Bookmark   September 20, 2010 at 3:58PM
More Discussions
Burrito Method -- aargh
Hay caramba! My cuttings got off to a head start thanks...
idixierose
my propagations normally turn brown/black
I have one that hasn't turned black. It has been in...
skmiller
budding versus grafting
Sorry that should read budding versus rooting Hi, This...
sutekesh Switzerland 6a
Another Houzz change-sending messages without following
Meredith posted this on the Antique Roses forum: In...
jasminerose4u, California
Need help eliminationg rose roots.
About fifteen years ago I planted a couple of rose...
wolfling
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™