Plant propagation

palmtreemanAugust 11, 2009

I was wondering which kind od plants can be probagated by leaf cuttings

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
poultryduk

Pretty much anything. Cuttings are divided into two categories, softwood cuttings (flowers, vegetables, other obvious "soft" plants) and hardwood cuttings (trees, woody shrubs, etc.). Softwood cuttings are much easier to start... just get some root tone powder, dip the end of the cutting in it (where you want to grow roots) and place it in well-watered soil (though over watered cuttings will begin to rot).

For hardwood cuttings, you may do the same, but place a plastic bag over the pot and the cutting to maintain a high humidity level around the cutting. Again, do not over water or it will rot.

Don't place cuttings in direct sun, and DO NOT pull at them to check for roots. I know its tempting but it will destroy the project.

Have fun!

Bookmark   August 17, 2009 at 1:56PM
lycopus(z5 NY)

Plants with thick, succulent leaves tend to be easier to propagate with leaf cuttings. African violets are easy, as are kalanchoe, stonecrops, Aloes, Echeveria, Sanseveria, Jade plant, etc.

It is easy to experiment since taking a leaf off of a plant does not change its appearance much. Succulent leaves can be rooted without a cover, and it may even help to allow the cut end to dry out for a few hours or a day for plants like Aloe. A loose rooting mix with lots of perlite can help prevent fungal infections and encourage root growth. For other plants it may be necessary to use a rooting hormone and maintain high humidity around the cutting.

Bookmark   August 18, 2009 at 2:38PM
lycopus(z5 NY)

I just noticed that this was in the ROSE propagation forum as I sent that reply. I thought this was the regular propagation forum. Wish they could let us edit our posts here.

Bookmark   August 18, 2009 at 2:46PM
More Discussions
Don't give up on your rooted cuttings too soon
I received this rooted cutting in a trade last summer,...
vaflowernut
How to start rugosa rose seeds?
I received some of these in a trade. I cold stratted...
zzackey
Looking For Antique/Old Style Rose Cuttings
Back a few years ago when I started my rose garden,...
Debbie P Southern MD Zone 7
New to the art of roses, but would greatly appreciate some cuttings ..
I'm fairly new to growing and maintaining roses but...
naeger129
Sponsored Products
Home Decorators Area Rug: MandarIn Rust 8' Round
Home Depot
Eclipse Custom Bathroom Pedestal Vanity - Floating Blue Vetrazzo
Modern Bathroom
Fosters Point Basket With Queen Flower Succulent Bamboo Protea Crassula
Beyond Stores
Laura Ashley 97" Tall Willow Ficus with Multiple Trunks in 16" Fiberstone Plante
Overstock.com
Hold All Pendants & Hanging Fixtures Outdoor LED Solar Hanging Planter Lite
$14.99 | Home Depot
Red Carpet Studios Solar Chimes - 10861
$27.35 | Hayneedle
La Rochelle Trellis
$429.00 | FRONTGATE
6' Bamboo Tree
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™