interesting article on bark beetles

david52_gwSeptember 26, 2011

I ran across this the other day, and for those of us who live in places where the pine bark beetles are causing havoc, I thought I'd pass it along.

In any event, its a fun read

Here is a link that might be useful: bark beetle whisperer

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dan_staley(5b/SS 2b AHS 6-7)

Cool! This guy was featured on NPR several years ago with IIRC Scott Simon. Good find David.

Dan

Bookmark   September 26, 2011 at 3:27PM
fredbarber(z4 CO & z6 MA)

Fascinating, but where's the practical application? Can I buy one of his tree stethoscopes and listen for beetles? If I buy his CD and blast it over my stereo will my beetles eat each other and leave my trees alone?

Seems to me that this is something that people would jump on.

Bookmark   September 28, 2011 at 9:34AM
gjcore

That might be the problem that there isn't at this time a widespread practical application. Interesting stuff nonetheless. Certainly protecting large areas of forest doesn't seem reasonable but maybe something property owners might someday use.

Bookmark   September 28, 2011 at 8:22PM
david52_gw

Well, they have sonic devices that supposedly shoo off mice - I was talking to a friend the other day who swears by the things.

I don't know if they still sell them, but I have a couple of battery-powered "hissers" that I move around the garden to shoo off nighttime critters - it has a switch that automatically works with daylight/night time, and at night, every few minutes, it hisses - supposedly sounding like a mountain lion, which supposedly gives the deer/raccoons/fox/bunny rabbits the willies, and they move along. I haven't done a scientific study on the effectiveness, but last night, when I was out moving the irrigation, it sure made me jump.

I'd imagine that an application would be an attractant - get the beetles swarming to a trap. They do something similar already with artificial pheromones to mess with the breeding of coddling moths, color attraction for tsetse flies, etc.

This article reminds me of the 2002 extreme drought when the ipsis beetles were doing their number around here. I lost a dozen trees to the beetles. There were so many that you could sit by the tree and hear them, and when the trees died, there were thousands of beetle carcasses on the ground - like half an inch thick of the things. Like a plague of locusts or something.

Bookmark   September 29, 2011 at 9:38AM
More Discussions
Spring Swap official site
Good Day all, Just wanted to start an official site...
gjmancini
The opening bell has rung
bell peppers? No, not this year, but several hot's! We've...
ZachS. z5 Littleton, CO
Anybody bored...wanna play a guessing game?!
Trying to figure out what this bush is. This photo...
lkcrawford
Great Backyard Bird Count - 2015
Great Backyard Bird Count - Cornell Hi all, It’s...
Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
E-mail tree?
So, I was thinking, after the difficulty I had getting...
ZachS. z5 Littleton, CO
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™