new cuttings over winter

belleville_rose_grAugust 12, 2006

I have finally have some cuttings that have taken root after 2 years of trying.... patience is a virtue. The cuttings are were made about 6-7weeks ago. Anyway I live in the midwest so should I plant the cuttings this fall, leave them in their pots and plant them and then in the spring permanently place them or leave them in the house over winter. I used 2 gallon pots so their is plenty room for root growth

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
michelle_co(z5 CO)

Karl Bapst posted some info about that on this thread. I had wondered about that, too, as I have a horde of cuttings coming along this Fall. :-) Congrats on rooting your cuttings!

I am going to overwinter mine in an unheated cellar.

Happy Gardening,
Michelle

Here is a link that might be useful: Karl's post on overwintering

Bookmark   August 12, 2006 at 10:52PM
rosewylde(z7 NC)

This is a very timely thread for me too, as i'm thinking about ordering a few more for Fall delivery. I'd rather have them right now, but, alas, no shipping right now from the vendors I need.

Last year I brought in my started cuttings and grew them on under lights in an unheated workroom--but central North Carolina temperatures are not like those in Belleville. This year I have far too many rose babies to bring inside, so I'll have to figure out something else.

Before moving here I was a member of the Belleville Area Rose Society--great folks and very helpful too. Six years later I still miss that group! Perhaps some of those Consulting Rosarians are still around and could help you.
Best Wishes and congratualtions on getting the cuttings going,
Laurel

Bookmark   August 13, 2006 at 10:55AM
donnaroyston(z7a VA)

I would leave them outside and let them go dormant, then sink the pots in the ground and cover them with some kind of winter protection. Others who garden more northerly than I do might know the best way to protect roses where you are.

I doubt the cuttings would do well indoors over the winter, unless in an unheated basement or garage. But I expect you will lose some some of them if they aren't sheltered in some way.

Donna

Bookmark   September 8, 2006 at 2:27PM
More Discussions
Where to find the largest selection of Florist Roses?
I live in a pretty big city, Houston, but I am flummoxed...
kfoxxed
How does a Tea rose bloom on a Bourbon rosebush?
Could this have been caused only by having a Tea parent? or...
luxrosa
Best way to start from cuttings
I used to be really good at starting roses, and it...
LeeBeesGarden
Help in propagtion of roses
Hi, I have a flower shop in Manila and we are getting...
amistad123
Chicago Peace Rose Help
Ok everyone I am looking for a Chicago peace rose for...
for_my_kids
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™