Sources of Coir

elks(US5 Can6)August 2, 2006

PlantBest markets coir cheaply under the name Peat Eliminator. There are various places both stateside and in Canada.

Steve.

Here is a link that might be useful: Peat Eliminator Homepage

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ranjana

Thank you. I had been searching for a source. You made it easy for me. Today I shall go to Home depot and Ace hardware in my area to see if have the stock currently.
Thanks once again,
Ranjana

Bookmark   August 3, 2006 at 6:47AM
elks(US5 Can6)

Your welcome, and good luck with it.
Steve.

Bookmark   August 3, 2006 at 6:54AM
mgleason56(Michigan 5b)

I have never seen this product available here in the U.S., but maybe ACE can order it. I know they do not stock (at least at the ACE stores around here). I find it very easily at hydroponic and brew & Grow stores here in MI.
Ranjana, you could not find it at the stortes I gave you in the Pit area?

Bookmark   August 3, 2006 at 5:17PM
fgilles02420(z6 MA)

You can find coir at Petco, probably at other large pet stores. It's sold as reptile bedding; if you don't have one near you here's the ordering link:

http://www.petco.com/Shop/petco_Product_R_1884_PC_productlist_Nav_260_N_27+100_sku_864200_familyID_10813.aspx

Bookmark   August 4, 2006 at 11:05AM
melva(7b/8aTX)

I have been getting mine from sellers on e-bay.

Bookmark   August 7, 2006 at 8:09PM
aliska12000(Z5)

I called I don't know how many places, including our local Petco. The only coir I found was the wrong kind at a large nursery, the kind for lining planters. I suggest you call some of those places rather wasting gas, time and energy running all over looking for it.

On another, thread we got to talking about it again, and I called Petco again and asked for "the stuff that you use for reptile cages". "Just a minute, I'll transfer you to the reptile department."

Reptile department: "Yes, we have that. It comes in brick form for $4.99. It is called 'ecoearth'".

I haven't gotten any yet, but it's good to know where I can buy it locally. I bought so much stuff this year, I decided to use what I have, and one of the best rose experts here uses a special potting soil which I doubt if we have here without umpteen more calls. He used to use vermiculite and peat moss, so that is what I am using this time until it is used up, then I might try the coir or the special potting mix.

Between all the bags of mulch (have six on hand), potting soil, and the vermiculite, peat moss, pearlite, rooting hormone, I have bought, other garden stuff, enough is enough until I get some of it used up. It's not the $4.99.

Petco is your best bet.

Bookmark   August 8, 2006 at 9:29AM
More Discussions
Grafting roses on fortuniana
Hi guys, Last summer I rooted various cuttings of fortuniana...
SoFL Rose z10
Temperature in misting box.
Does anyone have ideas on how to reduce the temperature...
kfoxxed
Hawaii conditions probably not conducive to burrito method
Just wanted to share, I attempted to do the burrito...
msdorkgirl
Wish me luck!
So, I recently got the chance to get a few Red Intuition...
Joe Moose, Zone 9A
Wanted: Rose Cuttings
Anyone have free rose cuttings they would like to give...
Gaia's Sacred Seeds
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™