Cut rose stem growing leaves -

krystyna1937August 24, 2014

About 3 weeks ago I put two long stemmed roses in a Japanese Ikeban dish with water and cut flower food. I had to cut off most of the puny leaves that that got crushed in the florist's tight wrapping. After about 8-10 days the flowers died but there were new leaves growing, even branching, and generally doing very well. I top off the water and add plant food regularly now and they keep on growing. Is there a future in this? Should I try rooting the stems? Is a flower likely to brow, even a little one? They live on my balcony now where they get good daylight and some afternoon sun.
PS I tired to post this same question about an hour ago but I don't think I actually finished the process. I hope I'm not sending a duplicate now.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
seil zone 6b MI

They could be rooted but unless you see actual roots on the bottom of the stems now those leaves that are developing are just using the stored energy in the cane itself. If you'd like to try rooting them get a clear plastic cup and punch a hole in the bottom. Fill it with potting or seed starting soil and poke a hole in the center of the soil with a pencil. Take the stem and very gently scrap off just the outer green skin with a knife or scissors exposing the white inner layer. Dip that into some type of rooting hormone and stick it in the hole you made in the soil and gently pack the soil back around the stem. Water it, place it in the sun and keep it evenly moist but not soggy wet and wait. It may take a few weeks to see any roots in the bottom of the cup. If the stem starts to turn brown or black at the soil line that usually means it's rotting and didn't take. If they do root they will grow and bloom like any rose. Good luck!

Bookmark   August 25, 2014 at 4:34PM
krystyna1937

Seil, thank you for your advice. I'll try it and will report sometime in the future what, if anything, happened. I have rooted cutting before but they were easy things, such as Jade. I didn't think it would work with roses, which I've always thought of as "difficult to please".

Bookmark   August 29, 2014 at 6:19AM
seil zone 6b MI

It isn't really any different than rooting any other plant. Roses are survivors and given any chance will grow! I hope it works out well for you!

Bookmark   August 29, 2014 at 2:54PM
More Discussions
Wish me luck!
So, I recently got the chance to get a few Red Intuition...
Joe Moose, Zone 9A
budding versus grafting
Sorry that should read budding versus rooting Hi, This...
sutekesh Switzerland 6a
Rose seedlings coming up!
Just thought I'd let y'all know that I have at least...
vmr423
Wanted: Rose Cuttings
Anyone have free rose cuttings they would like to give...
Gaia's Sacred Seeds
First time hybridizing -- Have a specific goal. Need advice
Hello, everyone! I have been thinking of trying my...
Greg
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™