Bhut Jolokia Pepper Jelly

Elbourne(8b)November 18, 2011

I've grown Bhut Jolokia Peppers for the last couple of years. They are VERY hot. I'd like to make some pepper jelly with them, but substituting these ghost peppers for other peppers in a standard pepper jelly recipe could prove dangerous. For example, the Sure-Jell recipe calls for 4 cups prepared peppers, 1 cup cider vinegar, and 5 cups sugar. I think if I added 4 cups of Bhut Jolokia Peppers, a small cracker full could kill someone; not to mention the fact that I don't even have that many.

So my question, as a jelly novice, can I use the same amount of vinegar, sugar, and Sure-jell, but only use a few peppers? Would that work?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kentishman

Try a mixture of Bhuts and another chile such as Jalapenos?

Bookmark   November 18, 2011 at 3:54PM
Elbourne(8b)

kentishman, I considered that. I would need to make a trip to the grocery store and buy some since I do not have any of my own right now. I was hoping to just make a small batch of something with what I have on hand this afternoon.

Another thought was to use carrots. A carrot/pepper jelly swirled into cream cheese with roasted pecans sounds interesting.

My jars are sterilizing right now, so I guess I will decide on something soon.

Bookmark   November 18, 2011 at 4:18PM
ottawapepper

Peppers are low acid so if you're following a tested recipe, you can safely change/mix pepper varieties as long as the volume equals the recipe amount.

4 cups seems like quite a few peppers for a small batch canning recipe but if you trust it, you can tone down the Jolokia heat by using one cup Jolokia and three cups Bell.

See the link below for another popular jelly, Habanero Gold. I've made both versions subbing Jolokias for Habs with great results.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jelly recipes

Bookmark   November 18, 2011 at 5:44PM
Elbourne(8b)

Finished. I just used 7 peppers. I was going to use 13, but my wife talked me out of it. It made a half dozen 4oz jars.

I tasted a dab of the syrup. It was plenty hot, but tasted great. I think it will go well as an appetizing cracker spread on Thanksgiving Day.

I posted a pic to my Facebook page.

Here is a link that might be useful: Don Elbourne on Facebook

Bookmark   November 18, 2011 at 5:44PM
Elbourne(8b)

Update: I cracked open a jar and spread the Bhut Jolokia Pepper Jelly on wheat thin crackers. It came out tasting very good, although a little stickier than standard jelly.

I think I may try another batch this afternoon. A few drops of red food coloring might go into this one. The first batch looked sort of plain with just a few pieces of chopped peppers floating in the top of a clear jelly.

Question: I read somewhere that you can put jelly in the microwave for a few minutes to liquify it and then pour it over cream cheese. Does that work? I would hate to ruin a jar of jelly.

Bookmark   November 21, 2011 at 3:28PM
More Discussions
Show Your Seedlings
After all that work, gathering seeds, trying to germinate,...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
MY PEPPER LIST FOR 2015
I GROW IN 5 GAL. WOODEN POTS ON MY DECK. CHARLSTON...
dac596
Progress Video 3/26/15
Here's a look at my plants. Things are finally starting...
peppernovice
Aleppo Pepper?
I've heard of this variety and it's big in the Middle...
reversethong
Is it to early to plant peppers?
I have 2-3 month old pepper starts and was wondering...
syntria
Sponsored Products
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Lanart Rugs Star Shag Salt and Pepper 5 ft. x 7 ft.
Home Depot
nuLOOM Handmade Alexa Premium Leather Shag Rug (8' x 10')
Overstock.com
Antique Legends Brick Red Rectangular: 5 Ft. 9 x 9 Ft. Rug
$959.20 | Bellacor
Stainless Steel Salt and Pepper Shakers
Overstock.com
Peugeot Nicaragua Coffee Grinder
$175.00 | FRONTGATE
Sonax Park Terrace Textured Black Sectional Conversation Set - Z-303-TPP
Hayneedle
Cheer Armchair in White
$215.00 | LexMod
'50s Couple Salt & Pepper Shakers