Help!!!!Bare roots not producing!

threegirls0408(7)August 21, 2008

Several months ago I bought about 8 bare roots from J & P and followed the enclosed directions exactly (soaking for 24 hours, hole twice the size of roots etc.) Needless to say all of these bare roots have turned brown and are doing nothing. Does anyone know if I should just pull them up and start over or will they "wake up" in the Spring?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
diane_nj 6b/7a

If they are brown, they are dead. Call J&P and ask for a refund. Try again.

The issue with bareroots is keeping both the upper canes and the roots well hydrated. Once they are planted, you have to cover the canes with damp mulch or damp soil or a paper bag (with hole torn out of the bottom) in order to keep the canes hydrated until they break dormancy. Once they break dormancy (new growth coming from the canes), then you remove the soil or bag. And you have to keep the roots well hydrated too.

Here is a link that might be useful: AARS: Planting a Bare Root Rose

Bookmark   August 22, 2008 at 4:26PM
threegirls0408(7)

Thank you for the advice Diane_j I was afraid they might be dead but I needed someone to actually tell me, sigh! I appreciate your time.

Bookmark   August 22, 2008 at 11:18PM
mgleason56(Michigan 5b)

I'd be interested in knowing when you got these from J&P. Assuming you are in Locust Grove, VA. you should have received these in March.

If you get a credit towards 8 more, you might want to pot these up so you can cater to their needs until they break dormancy. That's just my opinion, but it works for me. Just let us out here know when you get your new bareroots, and we'll be happy to walk you through the process.

Bookmark   August 25, 2008 at 4:48PM
More Discussions
Wish me luck!
So, I recently got the chance to get a few Red Intuition...
Joe Moose, Zone 9A
Don't give up on your rooted cuttings too soon
I received this rooted cutting in a trade last summer,...
vaflowernut
I have roots!
Thanks to all the lovely suggestions and help posted...
Beth9116 zone 8a TX
WANTED: thornless repeat bloomers, Old Roses and Noisettes best
Have unusual tropicals to trade at tropicalgardener@gmail.com...
Tropical Gardener
First time hybridizing -- Have a specific goal. Need advice
Hello, everyone! I have been thinking of trying my...
Greg
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™