Fall Planting

manoactionSeptember 4, 2012

I've ordered re-ordered some trees from Stark Bros. to have planted for the fall to replace a few that didn't like this year's drought.

The problem is that they said the shipping date is Nov. 5th which seems hella late in the year to be planting things in Fort Collins.

The trees and raspberries are sticks/whips so they are already dormant, but the blackberries I believe are potted.

I'm new to gardening and wanted some advice. Do you all do fall planting? Does November sounds terribly late to anybody else?

Should I cover the raspberries/black berries with little PVC greenhouses?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Blossom_Designer(5)

Fall planting is a great time to plant in Colorado. November is pushing it a little but you'll probably be fine early in the month.

If the plants are bare-root plants packed in sawdust, you'll need to plant them right away, regardless of the weather, because of the potential for dehydration.

CSU offers helpful suggestions about planting bare-root trees at http://www.cmg.colostate.edu/gardennotes/633.html.

Bookmark   September 5, 2012 at 5:18PM
manoaction

Thanks for that link and the encouragement.

Any ideas about blackberries if they are being delivered in pots? Do they still have a chance?

Bookmark   September 5, 2012 at 5:57PM
david52_gw

I'd still go with planting them vs trying to keep them going in pots all winter.

Just keep in mind that the biggest problem we have is the dry winters - the soil dries out, and then the wind, sun, and low humidity does a number on what ever is out of the ground, particularly in the spring. You might try wrapping the trunks with that white tape stuff.

So I'd check the soil moisture every few weeks and water them as needed.

Bookmark   September 6, 2012 at 9:46AM
Blossom_Designer(5)

I agree with David. Go ahead and plant them.

Bookmark   September 7, 2012 at 11:51AM
More Discussions
Ready for Harvest :o)
Here's what some of the plants look like in my greenhouse...
digit
Batten down the hatches!
Hi all, Well, NOAA just changed the Front Range (and...
Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
I could build that!
Well, why not ? No, that floor isn't sloping. There's...
digit
Anyone interested in unusual peonies take a look at Adelman's
Just got the catalog for Adelmans Peony Paradise for...
lizbest1
Something New in the Tomato Patch
Often, I have allowed a volunteer tomato to grow each...
digit
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™