How Unusual Is This?

drippy(7bAL)September 4, 2006

A couple of years ago, I bought a Honey Perfume rose, and while planting it, broke off a small branch. I stuck it in a cup of Miracle Gro potting soil and kept it on my deck all summer, watering it when I watered other things, but not babying it in any way. To my surprise, it rooted - I planted it in a different place than my original bush (which died - I think it was in a poor spot in my yard), and it's been growing and blooming ever since.

Is it normally that easy to root roses, or was that just a fluke? I used no misting, plastic covering, rooting hormone, any of that stuff.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
diane_nj 6b/7a

Some roses root easier than others. You found one that does. Congratulations!

Bookmark   September 4, 2006 at 9:58AM
drasaid(zone 8)

out that New Dawn, Little Buckaroo, and Red Cascade are great for that as well. Wanna swap cuttings? I have other stuff!
Some plants will not die. Some, alas, won't live no matter what you do. Enjoy Honey Perfume.

Bookmark   September 4, 2006 at 4:17PM
drippy(7bAL)

Drasaid, I love my Honey Perfume, and was devastated when the mother plant died. I am not a very good rose mom yet - I have a Marmalade Skies that I love that's struggling - the SECOND one I've had :( - anyway, I'm learning a little more each year. My surviving HP is only about a foot tall; it was started from a cutting in 2004. I want to let it get a bit bigger before I start cutting it again, but if I get any good at this, I'll swap cuttings in the future!

Bookmark   September 4, 2006 at 5:21PM
More Discussions
Looking every where for a Moon Shadow Rose
Okay, I have searched and researched the internet for...
stodgord488
Interesting rose rooting video on the industrial scale.
Just came across this video on stenting. It is amazing...
caflowerluver
budding versus grafting
Sorry that should read budding versus rooting Hi, This...
sutekesh Switzerland 6a
Rose seedlings coming up!
Just thought I'd let y'all know that I have at least...
vmr423
Another Houzz change-sending messages without following
Meredith posted this on the Antique Roses forum: In...
jasminerose4u, California
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™