Help me save my rustled rose!

tricia_pa(z6b PA)September 24, 2009

Hello,

I saved this rose in June before a couple of houses were demolished (with permission, of course). We got as much of the root ball as we could, which wasn't a whole lot. I took off the leaves and cut a lot of branches off. Miraculously, a month and a half later, it started leafing out. No blooms yet. It is in a big pot. Should I put it in the ground now or is it safer to keep in the garage for the winter? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rosesnpots(z8 Tidewater area VA)

You may want to post this question on the regular rose forum as you should get your answer faster. I am in a much warmer zone so I really hesitate to give you any advice.

Liz

Bookmark   September 24, 2009 at 6:41PM
hartwood

Without knowing what type of rose it is, I'm not sure you'll get good advice.

Was the rose one that had survived on its own as the house fell into disrepair? If so, it will probably do fine if you plant it in the ground.

What other info can you give us?

Connie

Bookmark   September 25, 2009 at 6:15AM
tricia_pa(z6b PA)

I'm not sure what type of rose it is. It had red blooms when we dug it up in June. I did take pics so maybe I can post them when I'm at home. The house was abandoned for maybe a year or so before so I assume they don't need too much care. It seems to be doing well in the pot. It just hasn't bloomed this summer after I potted it. The foliage looks good though. I just don't know if I should wait to plant outside until Spring when it has more roots and keep it in the garage or is it better to plant it in the ground now. Thank you for your responses.

Bookmark   September 25, 2009 at 2:32PM
More Discussions
rose cutting in plastic bag
I've taken 2 cuttings from a rose - picture attached...
lenarufus
Interesting rose rooting video on the industrial scale.
Just came across this video on stenting. It is amazing...
caflowerluver
budding versus grafting
Sorry that should read budding versus rooting Hi, This...
sutekesh Switzerland 6a
Another Houzz change-sending messages without following
Meredith posted this on the Antique Roses forum: In...
jasminerose4u, California
my propagations normally turn brown/black
I have one that hasn't turned black. It has been in...
skmiller
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™