is this safe

paulm321November 11, 2011

I packed habaneros/chiles/etc. into half gallon mason jars and poured vinegar over them. I cant remember if I boiled vinegar first or not. If I did not, and there is no headspace in jars, is this safe? Will the vinegar kill the nasties? I dont understand why vinegar has to be boield in the first place, I though you could just pour it cold over the veggies and it would be ok?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
esox07

paulm321: I have routinely canned my sliced Hot Hungarian Wax peppers that way. I add about 3/4 vinegar, 1/4 water, some salt, garlic, black pepper and seal 'em up. Now, mind you, I keep them refrigerated and don't plan on having them around after 2-3 months but it works great for me. Just think how many jars of pickles, peppers, and other condiments we all have in our refrigerators right now from the store that were opened many weeks ago. They don't go bad a week after they are opened if we keep them refrigerated. So neither should ones that are kept cold from the start. So unless you boiled the jars and the liquid according to canning guidelines, just keep them refrigerated and don't expect them to last all winter.
I am sure the purists will weigh in with their warnings and such but those are my thoughts.
Bruce

Bookmark   November 11, 2011 at 5:54PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kosherbaker(LA CA-10)

Paul. Vinegar does not need to be boiled as it is quite acidic. The reason many pickling solutions are boiled is because they have large amounts of water. My pickling solutions contain more water than vinegar anywhere between 3 to 5 times more, in addition to salt and spices of course. I use the 5% vinegar also called White or Distilled. It's the most acidic out there. I'd like to eventually switch to Apple Cider.

HTH
Rudy

Bookmark   November 13, 2011 at 12:37AM
More Discussions
bad batch of corn … oh
OTOH nothing happened after 26 days with my first batch...
bragu_DSM 5
Do Habs take longer to germinate?
I've only had one Hab germinate after 2 weeks and almost...
ozzy2001
Wow! Sure seems slow!
In the midst of seedling season, I would expect the...
woohooman
MY PEPPER LIST FOR 2015
I GROW IN 5 GAL. WOODEN POTS ON MY DECK. CHARLSTON...
dac596
Help for GardenWeb Users
https://support.houzz.com/hc/en-us/sections/200556848-Help-for-GardenWeb-Users...
ronnyb123
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™