Canadien rose

sowandgrowOctober 16, 2013

You had answered my post on growing roses in pots earlier this spring. I followed your instructions to the letter, and I am happy to report they did wonderful. It is my first season growing roses, what a joy to look out my living room window and see the beautiful blooms. What I am wondering now is how soon are you bringing your pots into the garage? We are in the same zone.
I also have a bunch of cuttings rooted, I can tell already this is turning into an obsession that is going to get out of control. Thanks to all for your expert advise.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
canadian_rose(zone 3a)

Oh, I'm glad your summer was a rosy delight!! :)

I'm leaving my roses outside until the temperature is expected to get to to -4 over night. If it's just one or two nights, then I cover them at night and leave them outside.

The rooted cuttings, I'm already bringing in at night and taking them out in the day. We've been getting - 1 and -2 overnight. I'm thinking that's too cold for the "babies." :)

Do you know how to overwinter roses?
Carol

Bookmark   October 18, 2013 at 12:24PM
canadian_rose(zone 3a)

Oops - just wanted to let you know that those are Celsius temperatures. :)

Bookmark   October 18, 2013 at 12:27PM
sowandgrow

Wow! I was thinking you have some hardy roses there. Just kidding, I live 6 miles from the Canadien border so I am used to Celsius. Yes I had read your post on overwintering pots which is what inspired me start growing them in pots. It seemed like the roses I really loved were all at least zone 5 so I was excited to read your post. I see you are into rooting cuttings also, you don't leave those in the garage too do you? If so, how big are they? I have mine under lights in the basement but they are barely rooted. Thanks for your help

Bookmark   October 19, 2013 at 7:47AM
canadian_rose(zone 3a)

Well, my rose cuttings are in those plastic red solo cups (white inside). I've never tried to root before. They all took. I didn't have any rooting powder, so I dunked the end in honey. Since I've never rooted anything before, I'm not exactly sure they'll survive.
But I'm going to plant the cups all in one big pot - completely covered with dirt. Then, I'll water a bit more often - maybe twice a month - depending upon how much the soil dries out. I'll obviously, also cover them with blankets etc.
Good luck to us both!!
Carol

Bookmark   October 19, 2013 at 9:48PM
More Discussions
rose cutting in plastic bag
I've taken 2 cuttings from a rose - picture attached...
lenarufus
Need help eliminationg rose roots.
About fifteen years ago I planted a couple of rose...
wolfling
Wish me luck!
So, I recently got the chance to get a few Red Intuition...
Joe Moose, Zone 9A
Where to find the largest selection of Florist Roses?
I live in a pretty big city, Houston, but I am flummoxed...
kfoxxed
How does a Tea rose bloom on a Bourbon rosebush?
Could this have been caused only by having a Tea parent? or...
luxrosa
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™