Can we grow berries here in Colorado (blackberries, raspberries)
I'm new to the Garden Web and am finding myself completely obsessed! I had originally posted this in a different forum. After getting an incredibly detailed email from Pete Tallman, I am curious if blackberries can grow in Golden and I am posting in the more appropriate site.
All my research stated that blackberries and raspberries can grow in zone 5. I have a small little patch of summer raspberries. My original bed of raspberries was concreted and became a parking lot while I was deployed to Iraq :( After reading what Pete had to say, I am saddened to learn that I probably should wait until the spring to plant my berry plants.
I have a few questions I hope that local gardeners can assist me with:
1) Can blackberries be grown here in zone 5 - Golden Colorado?
2) Is it ok to plant blackberries and raspberries now? The online companies are willing to ship, just want to ensure I'm not throwing money into a pile of dirt. Would it be better to amend the soil now and get a better start in the spring?
3)I always prefer to buy local, as it stimulates my home economy. Does anyone know of a local nursery that sells quality berries in the spring, or do any of you have berries that you would be willing to sell/trade? (Details of what I'm looking for are below).
4) If I purchase online, I'm looking at Nourse or Indiana Plant Co. Any other recommendations?
5) Do you have / where do you recommend I find the following:
- Thornless blackberry (Apache and Navajo. Natchez is my 2nd choice after Apache. I've heard that Triple Crown or Chester may do well here also)
- Thornless everbearing red raspberries (prefer Carolina. 2nd choice - Heritage)
- Thornless everbearing yellow raspberries (prefer Anne)
- Thornless summerbearing red raspberries (prefer Boyne)
- Thornless summerbearing black raspberries (prefer Jewell & Mac Black)
- Thornless summerbearing purple (prefer Royalty)
Thank you for your advice,
New Berry Gardener,