exterior location for winter propgation.....

fleursuzie(z8 mid ga)October 30, 2011

First off, I have a bunch of "miniature" rose plants at the front of my house...the reason I quoted it, is that they were supposedly miniature, but are more like minifloras. I spaced them appropriately, but they have grossly overgrown the size they were supposed to be, and some are now not getting enough sun and are stunting (due to others over-growing them).

Anyway, last winter I had planned on moving them once they went dormant. The only problem is that they didn't (and it snowed 3 times last winter and it was unseasonably cold last year).

I again want to try to move them this coming winter, but I am planning on doing quite a few cuttings now...just to be on the safe side in the event I lose one or more of the ones I am going to move.

I have a feeling that last year they didn't go into complete dormancy because is that the wall to the house is deep maroon brick, and it gets considerable afternoon sun, creating a warmer micro-climate than the ambient air temps (at least for the soil).

Am I wrong in thinking that this might be a perfect place to place my cuttings? They will get direct light, but it will be considerably cooler than, say, in the summer. I will place them under clear cups and can cover them during hard freezes.

Note: I live in eastern middle Georgia.

Thanks for any advice! (and sorry for the long post)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
seil zone 6b MI

If the soil doesn't freeze in that area I'd say it should work. I have a wall where the soil never quite freezes and I've done it here once.

Bookmark   November 6, 2011 at 7:44PM
More Discussions
Hawaii conditions probably not conducive to burrito method
Just wanted to share, I attempted to do the burrito...
msdorkgirl
Help! Looking for the following roses:
Does anyone know a good source for these roses in Canada?: Alba...
ruilongt
My first year growing roses from seed. I have my first bud!
I have over 30 sprouted now, and I have my first bud! How...
gr8heather
Rootstock question.
I haven't seen this asked so it is probably a really...
sowandgrow
I have roots!
Thanks to all the lovely suggestions and help posted...
Beth9116 zone 8a TX
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™