oh the weather outside is frightful but the fire is so delightful

don555(3a)November 10, 2012

Here's the weather, yah, that's Zone 3 for you...:

Here's the fire:

I'm not entirely sure what this is, I grew it from seed from Esox07 (Bruce), originally from Pepper Joe, that there was some controversy about. I think it was finally called "some kind of Naga". Anyway, have 3 plants of it growing under lights, started them July 15 to get an early start for winter, 2 peppers now turned red. That seems fast to me -- under 4 months from planted seed to ripe fruit.

They don't set fruit particularly well though, and rarely do their stamens release pollen so I've been pollinating them with some other pepper that I also have 3 plants of under lights, planted about a month later. So the Naga fruit will have hybrid seeds, except for possibly a few I've pollinated with Naga pollen and then isolated (not sure they will take yet).

Here's a couple pics of my pollinator pepper, which sets pollen very nicely under lights. I'm not sure what it is, I collected the seeds this fall from a plant in my garden that I bought at a garden centre and was mislabelled "long hot cayenne". They seem to grow true from seed, as all 3 plants look the same as the parent.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pretty.gurl(5)

Nice.

Bookmark   November 11, 2012 at 8:58AM
tsheets(5)

yikes! I was surprised when I read the "S word" in our forecast for tonight / tomorrow morning (no accumulation). Mid 70's yesterday and high in the 30's tomorrow!

The peppers do look nice and warm, though!

Bookmark   November 11, 2012 at 9:48AM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Fantastic, Don!

Yesterday, I was at a friend's house working a fire-pit...and we enjoyed about forty minutes
of snow as a big black cloud crawled over us. It all melted swiftly, however, and the fire roared on!

Bookmark   November 11, 2012 at 11:24AM
rockiecarol(4 to 3)

that fire is delightful

Bookmark   November 11, 2012 at 9:10PM
Calcat36(6b)

It doesn't show signs of stopping,
And I've got some pods on plants inside a popping,
The lights are turned way up HIGH,
Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow!

Bookmark   November 13, 2012 at 10:21PM
don555(3a)

Looking like a very early winter here, perhaps the earliest I can recall. Warm to mid-October, then snow and cold came suddenly, Halloween was white. Early November mild spell melted most of the snow in the sun but not in the shade, then had 8"-10" of fresh snow on Nov. 7, little melting since then. More snow expected tomorrow. Looks like it is here until late March or early April now. Oh well, Christmas lights are up and look good against the snow. And hot peppers indoors are doing well. Time to start planning next year's outdoor garden...

Bookmark   November 18, 2012 at 4:18AM
More Discussions
So I called into a radio garden show ...
… and explained about scalping our pepper plants...
bragu_DSM 5
Holiday seed swap: Christmas came early!
Got home tonight to find 73 packets of seed! Yay! A...
uncleflip
MY PEPPER LIST FOR 2015
I GROW IN 5 GAL. WOODEN POTS ON MY DECK. CHARLSTON...
dac596
How's your overwinter going?
How's everyones overwintering going? This was my first...
ozzy2001
Bhut Jolokia South Florida
Hey everyone, first post here and i was wondering about...
A.Nosch
Sponsored Products
Heirloom Old Bronze One-Light Medium Pendant-Flat Shade and Wire Guard-Long
$504.00 | Bellacor
Hyper Links Vista Ava 5-Light Nickel Ceiling Light
Lamps Plus
Dixie Seating 3 pc. Spindle Rocking Chair Set with Side Table - Black - 467/1618
$459.00 | Hayneedle
Chrome Drop Pendant Light
$149.99 | Dot & Bo
MADRA Log Basket by Blomus
$125.99 | Lumens
1127 Torchiere with Reading Lamp by Estiluz
$1,379.00 | Lumens
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™