aluminum foil over rose hips

canadian_rose(zone 3a)October 5, 2013

The vast majority of my rose hips are not ripe yet. I started them late in the season (first year trying hybridizing) because we had an enormous amount of rain causing flooding in most of the city.

So I read somewhere (might have been on this forum) that if one puts aluminum foil around the hips, it will speed up the ripening.

Has anyone ever tried this? Does it work? I have little aluminum balls all over my roses. :)

Thanks,
Carol

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
roseseek

Traditionally, aluminum foil is used to help protect the hips from being eaten by rodents and birds. I don't know about the conditions where you are, but it is still sufficiently hot and sunny here to cook them under foil. You might be able to "age" the hip flesh as you help to "ripen" fruit, but that's no guaranty you're maturing the seeds inside. Kim

Bookmark   October 6, 2013 at 12:03AM
canadian_rose(zone 3a)

No cooking here :)
We are down to -1C and slightly above at night. Around 30F.
Hmmmmm
Maybe I'll take some off and leave some on. The ones that I take the tin foil off, I can see if they ripen on the bush in my garage.
Thanks Kim
Carol

Bookmark   October 7, 2013 at 12:25AM
roseseek

You're welcome, Carol. Good luck! Kim

Bookmark   October 7, 2013 at 10:46PM
canadian_rose(zone 3a)

I took all of the aluminum foil off the hips, since they were dampish underneath. I think that the roses that I had left uncovered ripened a bit more than the covered ones. :)

Bookmark   October 18, 2013 at 12:28PM
seil zone 6b MI

Yes, the foil can cause some to rot if the conditions are very damp. Done that, lol! As Kim said, I use the foil to keep the squirrels from stealing them and then burying them in my rose pots. Stupid squirrels!

Do you know how many days they have been on? If it's at least 90 days you should be good. Leave them as long as you can on the bushes. If they have started to color at all they should still be ripe enough to use.

Bookmark   October 19, 2013 at 6:29PM
canadian_rose(zone 3a)

The end of October it might be around 95 days.
On the plus side, we're supposed to at least have 2 more weeks of above zero temps at night. So go rose hips go!!
Yes, most of them have started to color a bit. I know that Rock & Roll should be ripe - they're all (5 hips I left on) at least half a nice cherry red. Could be interesting roselings as they are next to Just Joey. Exciting!!
Carol

Bookmark   October 19, 2013 at 9:45PM
More Discussions
First time hybridizing -- Have a specific goal. Need advice
Hello, everyone! I have been thinking of trying my...
Greg
budding versus grafting
Sorry that should read budding versus rooting Hi, This...
sutekesh Switzerland 6a
Another Houzz change-sending messages without following
Meredith posted this on the Antique Roses forum: In...
jasminerose4u, California
Rose seedlings coming up!
Just thought I'd let y'all know that I have at least...
vmr423
Grafting roses on fortuniana
Hi guys, Last summer I rooted various cuttings of fortuniana...
SoFL Rose z10
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™