my first attempt at pepper X fruit spread
so I made my first batch of strawberry / brain strain spread. I call it spread because jam has chunks of fruit, jelly is made from fruit juice, and this is made from pureed fruit. as such I shall call it a spread.
2 lbs fresh strawberries
4-1/2 cups of sugar,
juice from half a lemon
1-1/2 brain strain 7pot peppers
4 tbsp ball no sugar needed pectin
I threw the de-stemmed strawberries and the brains in the blender and ran it til smooth. then I boiled the heck out of the strawberries, added the pectin (mixed with a half cup of sugar to make it mix better), added the rest of the sugar after it came to a rolling boil, let it boil again for a minute, and ladled it into the jars (which had just come out of boiling water seconds before being filled), put the lids on, and put into boiling water bath for 10 minutes.
I did the "cold spoon" test right before canning and it had the perfect consistency. my use for the stuff is to spread it on a bagel that already has cream cheese on it, so I wanted it nice and spreadable, without big chunks. I think this will be perfect. if I make it again I would have only used one brain instead of 1.5, it's pretty hot. the only negative is that there's some tiny air bubbles in there, which is most likely the result of me blending it. not that big of a deal really.
the yield was five eight ounce jars, and one 16oz (the jar Tim's strawberry moruga jelly came in that I reused).
noteworthy: that was just a summary, not an attempt to detail the exact steps to follow. if you're reading this and thinking about making pepper jelly for the first time, you might wanna read a more in depth procedure.
my next one will probably be blueberry / chocolate scorpion. honestly I thought the process was extremely easy. either I got it wrong, or it's much easier than people make it sound.