How to start rose shoots dug from root in Oct. in Oh.

lindarenee(a5 Ohio)October 15, 2013

I received two small rose plants that were coming up from an old spreading rose today. I have dug roses growing like this from around my Therese Bugnet in the Spring and planted them with good success but these are small with very little root and its October. I would like to see them make it. The lady who gave them to me just took a small pair of pruners and dug around them a little bit and cut them off the root as far as she could reach.
One shoot has a piece of brown root extending vertically about 6 inches from the stem. The other one has about 1 inch of pink stem followed by 1 inch of brown root stem which is connected to a horizontal piece of root stem about 3 inches long. There are no hairs on the roots. Can I keep them in the house for winter? Thanks! BTW the lady who gave them to me thinks they are St. Nicholas, an old type rose probably a Damask.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
seil zone 6b MI

They may be better off planted in the ground than in the house. Roses hate being inside and will likely die. The other thing you could do is pot them and then sink those pots in the ground deeply in the most protected place in your yard.

Bookmark   October 19, 2013 at 6:12PM
More Discussions
budding versus grafting
Sorry that should read budding versus rooting Hi, This...
sutekesh Switzerland 6a
First time hybridizing -- Have a specific goal. Need advice
Hello, everyone! I have been thinking of trying my...
Greg
Looking For Antique/Old Style Rose Cuttings
Back a few years ago when I started my rose garden,...
Debbie P Southern MD Zone 7
rose cutting in plastic bag
I've taken 2 cuttings from a rose - picture attached...
lenarufus
Chicago Peace Rose Help
Ok everyone I am looking for a Chicago peace rose for...
for_my_kids
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™