trying to grow

woody64(5a)November 13, 2011

I have a few cuttings that I started from cutoff stems from my girlfriend"s roses that I bought her.I have one thats growing and has a rose thats just about in bloom.The other one has the "heel" crusted over and leaves on it but no roots.I bought it in from the greenhouse and was wondering if it would grow better in warmer climate since its getting cold outside.Has anyone had any success with something like this?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Martalan

No,Never,but hope good luck with you and your rose.

Bookmark   November 14, 2011 at 7:59AM
Martalan

No,Never,but hope good luck with you and your rose.

Bookmark   November 14, 2011 at 8:00AM
seil zone 6b MI

If it were me I'd put it back out in the greenhouse. I have terrible luck trying to grow any roses inside. Houses are just not humid or bright enough for roses, even on a window ledge. Will it get below freezing in the greenhouse? If not then keep it outside. Roses don't really mind some cold as long as they have enough light and humidity. I winter my tiny rose seedlings outside in a small greenhouse and they do just fine for me.

Bookmark   November 17, 2011 at 8:16PM
woody64(5a)

thanks for the advice seil but my greenhouse is starting to get below freezing right now and will drop to about minus 20 in the heart of the winter.I live in newfoundland.

Bookmark   November 18, 2011 at 5:03PM
seil zone 6b MI

Eek! That's cold! OK, so if you're going to keep them inside then be sure to put them on a tray of pebbles with water in it, but not touching the bottoms of the pots, to keep the humidity up around the roses. You don't want the water touching the pots or they won't be able to drain properly when you water them. And if you have a grow light use it. You can also mist them daily to keep the humidity higher. Good Luck!

Bookmark   November 19, 2011 at 3:49PM
More Discussions
rose cutting in plastic bag
I've taken 2 cuttings from a rose - picture attached...
lenarufus
budding versus grafting
Sorry that should read budding versus rooting Hi, This...
sutekesh Switzerland 6a
Chicago Peace Rose Help
Ok everyone I am looking for a Chicago peace rose for...
for_my_kids
Best way to start from cuttings
I used to be really good at starting roses, and it...
LeeBeesGarden
Looking For Antique/Old Style Rose Cuttings
Back a few years ago when I started my rose garden,...
Debbie P Southern MD Zone 7
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™