Chlorosis on new rugosas

leo_prairie_view(2B Manitoba)November 6, 2009

I tried starting a few cuttings last summer and am pleased how well it went, but now one of the Rugosa's which is growing vigorously is showing signs of iron deficiency. I expect it outside with my prairie gumbo but these are in bought potting soil. Any suggestions on how to amend the soil to correct or prevent it? I have several other rugosa cuttings which were given me and I don't want to loose them

Leo

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
elks(US5 Can6)

Are the cuttings over a year old then? Or is this their first winter on their own? Are they in- or outside? Are they just dropping their leaves preparing for winter?

I'm sorry. All I have are questions,

Steve.

Bookmark   November 7, 2009 at 6:10AM
leo_prairie_view(2B Manitoba)

Steve, This is their first year. I took the cuttings in July. They are inside, under lights so still have their leaves.
Thanks
Leo

Bookmark   November 7, 2009 at 9:30AM
elks(US5 Can6)

My suggestion is in the 'might try' category. In my experience, once a cutting's leaves begin to go chloroic (sp?), the plant is down for the count. However, you might try some iron chelate, which can be bought at any nursery, diluted to perhaps quarter strength.
I hope others can offer a more definitive solution.
Steve.

Bookmark   November 8, 2009 at 6:38AM
mad_gallica(zone 5 - eastern New York)

I don't have a lot of experience with rugosas. Like you, if I put them outside in the regular soil, they aren't overly happy. However, a lot of my hardy once bloomers - the ones that truly need dormancy to do at all well - don't like spending the winter inside under lights. Those I've taken to putting in the garage, even though my record with small pots isn't the greatest there.

So they may have gotten a hint of what is going on outside, and are trying to go dormant.

Bookmark   November 9, 2009 at 7:03AM
More Discussions
Where to find the largest selection of Florist Roses?
I live in a pretty big city, Houston, but I am flummoxed...
kfoxxed
my propagations normally turn brown/black
I have one that hasn't turned black. It has been in...
skmiller
Winter Rose Propagation
I live in Colorado where dry air and irregular weather...
pizzuti
Looking For Antique/Old Style Rose Cuttings
Back a few years ago when I started my rose garden,...
Debbie P Southern MD Zone 7
Air layering
This may have been posted here but I could not find...
derby41
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™