Late cuttings, taken before snowfall, with pictures.
Hi all, I have stuck about 200 cuttings, Lillian Austin, Benjamin Britten, and Fair Bianca, all David Austin roses. The cuttings were all taken just before severe cold and snowfall has set in. Some were stuck 25 days ago, some 20 days ago, and some 7 days ago. Cuttings were stored in plastic bags in the fridge until I had a chance to stick them.
I have studied George Mander's method and put it to use.
However, I did not do any wounding, and I cut the stems straight across right below a bud, and I left just the
next leaf with bud on, and cut below the next bud for the next cutting and so on. I think I have had phenomenal success.
I used promix mixed with sand, drizzle some rooting gel into the hole, put some no-damp onto the wet medium, cover it with humididome with vent cracked open slightly, and put them under fluorescent set on 18/6 cycle times. I monitor the temp, and it is between 20 - 23C. I chopped down the whole bush and submitted the whole thing for cuttings, and I think both the old and the new wood has rooted equally well. I believe the low sun angle with mainly red light coming in has turned on the genes for rooting. I wonder if you could have a look at my flickr collection and comment. Paul Mozarowski.
Here is a link that might be useful: Pictures of Benjamin Britten and Fair Bianca cuttings.