Hardwood cuttings, when to...

gerry_wyomingpa(z6)November 1, 2006

Take them? We have already had a few nights below freezing, is it ok to take them now, or would it be better to wait for a few more nights?

TIA

Gerry

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aliska12000(Z5)

This forum has gone deader than a doornail. Maybe it will be better come spring; it's one of the most interesting ones to me here. I'm sorry I don't know the answer to your question, I think it depends on what you are intending to propagate, have been thinking about trying it myself but have enough going. The kind of hardwood cuttings I should be taking would be for firewood :-). Here is a book you might be able to get at your local library, I'm not recommendng that you purchase it, there should be other similar books out there. Also you could google "hardwood cuttings" "best time of year". I did that and got an excellent site in Australia where their plants are entirely different. Also their seasons are reversed from ours. Put "hardwood cuttings" (use the quotes) in the search window here and you will get more topics than you will be able to sort through.

Here is a link that might be useful: American Horticultural Society Plant Propagation

Bookmark   November 3, 2006 at 1:13AM
diane_nj 6b/7a

Gerry, it might still be too early, the plants need to be dormant according to a few articles I've scanned this morning. One from Mississippi State U linked below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Propagating Plants For The Home Landscape

Bookmark   November 3, 2006 at 10:12AM
gerry_wyomingpa(z6)

Aliska, Thank you for the link, I will have to look into that.

Diane, I have read similiar articles, just never sure when they are truely dormant. Some referances mention after frost, others after freezes. I do not want to push and do it to early, but I also don't want to be out there in freezing temps :-( I think I am just going to prepare the pots now and then when it is cold I will take the cuttings and just hope for the best.

Gerry

Bookmark   November 6, 2006 at 6:05PM
More Discussions
Burrito Wrap Cuttings - What Should I Be Seeing?
I have tried the burrito wrap cutting method - the...
alameda/zone 8
New to the art of roses, but would greatly appreciate some cuttings ..
I'm fairly new to growing and maintaining roses but...
naeger129
Magic Wand
Does anyone have rooted cuttings of magic wand available?...
littleblackbat
Rose seedlings coming up!
Just thought I'd let y'all know that I have at least...
vmr423
Sponsored Products
Single "Diama" 6" Candlestick
$100.00 | Horchow
American Heritage Catania Collection Return and Bar with Fridge Pocket in Navajo
Beyond Stores
Divi Satin Nickel One-Light Halogen Wall Sconce with Copper Foil Glass
$153.00 | Bellacor
Butter Up Bold Stripe Apothecary Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Anderson Leather Chair - Brighton Energy Pink
Joybird Furniture
Carrell Power-Loomed Rug
$34.99 | zulily
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™