Roundup Ready straw....

Puglogic(4)October 11, 2013

We use a lot of straw to mulch our garden beds, and use a lot at the community garden both for mulch and compost. I've been hearing ominous rumblings lately (fueled by an article in Mother Earth News, I believe) that some of the straw for sale here is Monsanto's roundup-ready stuff. Regardless of whether you think that's a dangerous thing, is anyone aware of a source for straw that knows whether their product is roundup-ready or not? I've asked our usual provider and she's clueless how to even find out. Any ideas from the RM gardeners out there?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digit(ID/WA)

I think you should see if there is a source for news on the growing of Roundup Ready grain. I haven't seen the current issue of MEN but here is what the USDA said about the roundup ready wheat found in Oregon recently:

"There are no GE wheat varieties approved for sale or in commercial production in the United States or elsewhere at this time." (May, 2013)

I had to do a google cache search since much of the USDA website is not available because of the shutdown. It is linked below thru firefox but the link worked in Chrome, also.

Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: USDA ... glyphosate-resistant wheat ...

Bookmark   October 11, 2013 at 3:14PM
More Discussions
Holly, potatoes!
I tried to send you an email but apparently the mobile...
ZachS. z5 Littleton, CO
Ready for Harvest :o)
Here's what some of the plants look like in my greenhouse...
digit
Anyone interested in unusual peonies take a look at Adelman's
Just got the catalog for Adelmans Peony Paradise for...
lizbest1
Plant protection after this spring in February
Hi, I have some daffodils and tulips moving right along....
jerrym303
I Think I'd Have Trouble in Denver
... or most anywhere in Colorado! Such high elevations....
digit
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™