Karen needs more help in the garden ....

mstywoods(z5, Westminster, CO)October 16, 2012

There have been quite a few folks coming out to help at Karen's Cat Lady's Garden, but there is still tons left to do! She is open to people stopping by when they can - not just on Sundays. If any of you can put in some time over the next couple of weeks, she would greatly appreciate it!

What needs done now:

*Cut back the day lilies as close to ground as possible

*Pull up weeds and tree seedlings that have sprouted

*Cut back other deciduous plants in the beds

*Pull up any grass that has taken over the beds (one in particular has gone crazy with grass!)

*Put all clippings into garbage bags and put out at her curb for trash pickup

If there is still time before snows begin/settle in, she could also use help spreading manure compost - but she hasn't gotten this picked up yet, due to the other stuff needing done first.

She has some tools there, but anyone is welcomed to bring their own desired tools. She has some garbage bags, but could probably use some donations of them as well.

Please PM me for directions (but she lives in Aurora off of 70 and Cambridge Rd) and her phone number (so you can give her a call to tell her what day/time you'll be coming). If folks could reply to this thread as well, then we can get a better idea of when people are going, how many, and status of work left to be done.

If you have any other ideas, or contacts, for helping with this work please toss your thoughts out here! A couple of us were wondering if her garden could be a school project, but if the volunteers are teens they would need to be carefully supervised as we wouldn't want the wrong things getting cut back or pulled out.

Marj

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mstywoods(z5, Westminster, CO)

Well, I have not been able to get over to Karen's since my post :(. Don't know whether anyone else has either. May need to wait till the spring now, and just get things cleaned up and mulched as things start warming up again, and hope the plants made it through the winter ok (which they most likely will, since they've been in her gardens for years).

I'll try to touch base with Karen at some point - curious if she has connected with any other group of folks who can/have help out. Gosh, it would be nice to get a large group of people (10 or more) to go together for a day and get it all done - at least all the weeding and cutting back of the larger deciduous plants and all getting the clippings into garbage bags - as having just a few takes much longer and more trips. IMO, cutting the daylilies all the way back isn't complete necessary right now, other than it helps expose the weeds that may be hiding underneath. They will need cleaned up by clipping off the old foliage in the spring, however, if it doesn't get done before winter.

Many projects to do, and so little time to get them all done!!

Marj

Bookmark   October 27, 2012 at 3:39PM
treebarb Z5 Denver

Marj,

Skybird and I went over for several hours last Sunday and got a couple of the smaller beds done. It's way too soupy to do anything but compact the soil this weekend.

I'm not going to be able to go again for several weeks and am afraid it's going to be too cold by the time I can.

We've given it a heck of a try, but as you said we need a large group of people and I thinks that's going to be tough with the holidays fast approaching!

Barb

Bookmark   October 28, 2012 at 7:20PM
Lesuko(5, Boulder CO)

Hi Marj,
I haven't been back on the forum to notice the request for help. Sorry. I am willing to help next spring. I had never been to a swap before but liked working in the garden before the actual swap. I guess if there are a lot of people, it would take too long for the swap afterwards.

Because I'm not a frequent visitor, it would be great if there could be an advanced notice for spring- long enough for pokers like me to catch it.

Thanks!

Bookmark   November 9, 2012 at 11:46AM
More Discussions
Batten down the hatches!
Hi all, Well, NOAA just changed the Front Range (and...
Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
What are Your Plans
... for the yard and garden, this year? Zach has some...
digit
roof ice damming in Denver area?
I know this isn't garden related, but was wondering...
mstywoods
Crops That Can Thrive At Lower Temps
Hey gardening geniuses.... glad to see most of us made...
garnergarden
E-mail tree?
So, I was thinking, after the difficulty I had getting...
ZachS. z5 Littleton, CO
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™