Planting Clivia in a bed

allyson00(z9 Houston)January 26, 2004

I found a beautiful Clivia at the nursery and would like to plant it in a bed instead of leaving it in a pot. However, in all the info I've been reading about this plant none of them mention it being in a garden. The spot I picked out is in my semi-shaded bed near the pond which is under a large tree with a high canopy. Do they have to be rootbound to bloom? I keep the area watered but not waterlogged, so I'm not too concerned with rotting the root.

Thanks

Allyson

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
JayEmVee(z9 SF Bay, CA)

Hi, Allyson,

I planted mine in a raised bed, under trees that give light cover and placed some large (volley ball size) rocks among and around them to imitate the feeling of boundaries. They bloom well and seem happy but not the booming look that you see in the conservatory. I've never planted them straight in the ground.
Best,
Joanna

Bookmark   January 26, 2004 at 2:11PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
conroe_joe(9a)

Hi,

Cliva do well in the ground in Mediterannean climates. They were everywhere when I was growing up, especially along the coast of Southern California (not so much inland). Most of the world grows them as pot plants and they seem to do well when root bound. They don't need much fertilizer, when I did grow them some years ago (in pots) I seldom fed them.

In Texas, if you can keep the temperature from getting too cold they should grow like they do in Central Florida. I don't know how much cold they will take, some places say no frost at all and others indicate they'll survive a few hours at 26-27 F (some say even more).

In this part of the world they will need shade from hot sun (i.e., Texas sun), but they bloom without a lot of sun anyway. Also, they will need very good drainage. They can get by with a lot of drought when established, but they sure won't like being flooded or soggy--maybe a raised bed of sandy soil would work. One publication (see link below) from the University of Florida indicates they will grow pretty much anywhere in Florida if their conditions are met--so I guess they can take a bit of frost.

Their natural habitat seems to be dappled shade in a forest with fast-draining soil (some humus), and a winter dormant period (cold induced I think).

Cordially,

Here is a link that might be useful: Bulbs For Florida

Bookmark   January 28, 2004 at 6:55PM
More Discussions
Kukumakranka ( Gethyllis)
Not many postings to the forum lately. Some thing to...
Garrickza
South-African bulbs - Not all grow in standard potting soil
Except for Watsonia, Homeria, Moraea and some robust...
tired_of_digging
proteas in pots
I just bought a couple of plants I've been drooling...
xenozoon
Protea seed search
Hi, I am looking for some harder to find Protea seeds...
Mike726
Madagascar Palm help
Hi, I have a Madagascar palm that grows well indoors,...
Yuyu
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™