Scadoxus source or trade?

jderosa(z6 NJ)January 2, 2004

I'm looking for a Scadioxus that gets tall - I've seen some that are almost 4' tall, with a ball of star shaped red flowers in spring or summer. I have Scadoxus multiflora (?), but mine only gets about 1' tall. Does anyobe know what plant I am talking about, and is anyone willing to trade for an Amorphophallus or something else I have?

Joe 'searching in vain' DeRosa

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Matt_J(z6b/7a LI)

I just planted some s. multiflorus this past summer, they were about the same height as yours. Just curious - do they overwinter in your NJ garden? I planted some in pots, but also two bulbs in my south facing rock garden as an experiment, with an inch or two of mulch.

Bookmark   January 4, 2004 at 10:26PM
jderosa(z6 NJ)

They won't overwinter outdoors here in Zone 6 - they just rot over the winter. I think it is way too cold for them here, and too wet.

I've been growing mine in deep 10" pots. The bulbs are only about 2 or 3 inches in diameter, and they do flower every year, and the bulbs get a little bigger each year, too. When I grew them in smaller pots, the bulbs got smaller every year, and eventually stopped flowering. I bring in the plant before it goes dormant, and keep it green as long as possible (mine are just going dormant now). I'll start them up again in March after I replace some of the soil by giving them some bottom heat, and they usually flower within a month or so.

In the past, I've had these bulbs produce offsets, so I must be doing something right. I know that they develop a very thick basal plate that the roots grow from, and that the bulb is somewhat sensitive to being wet and cold during its dormancy, and that it is a good idea to keep some of the roots alive while the plant is dormant, but that's about all I have figured out.

I also know I've seen a much bigger type than the one I grow, and I have no idea where to get it.

Joe 'still searching' DeRosa

Bookmark   January 5, 2004 at 9:48AM
sheila_perth(WA 10)

Joe, you're looking for Scadoxus multiflorus ssp. Katherinae.

Here is a link that might be useful: Scadoxus

Bookmark   February 15, 2004 at 7:33AM
More Discussions
Kukumakranka ( Gethyllis)
Not many postings to the forum lately. Some thing to...
Garrickza
Boophane distichia
I have a very large Boophane distichia bulb (it's in...
stevejohn
Identification.
Good day. I would like to identify this tree. I tried...
Loekie1
Pruning a jade
Hey GW, First off I'd like to say I'm new to the forum,...
ep5815
Gardening in ZA!
Hi all! I just started a garden and am wondering where...
jennapete912
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™