Scadoxus source or trade?

jderosa(z6 NJ)January 2, 2004

I'm looking for a Scadioxus that gets tall - I've seen some that are almost 4' tall, with a ball of star shaped red flowers in spring or summer. I have Scadoxus multiflora (?), but mine only gets about 1' tall. Does anyobe know what plant I am talking about, and is anyone willing to trade for an Amorphophallus or something else I have?

Joe 'searching in vain' DeRosa

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Matt_J(z6b/7a LI)

I just planted some s. multiflorus this past summer, they were about the same height as yours. Just curious - do they overwinter in your NJ garden? I planted some in pots, but also two bulbs in my south facing rock garden as an experiment, with an inch or two of mulch.

Bookmark   January 4, 2004 at 10:26PM
jderosa(z6 NJ)

They won't overwinter outdoors here in Zone 6 - they just rot over the winter. I think it is way too cold for them here, and too wet.

I've been growing mine in deep 10" pots. The bulbs are only about 2 or 3 inches in diameter, and they do flower every year, and the bulbs get a little bigger each year, too. When I grew them in smaller pots, the bulbs got smaller every year, and eventually stopped flowering. I bring in the plant before it goes dormant, and keep it green as long as possible (mine are just going dormant now). I'll start them up again in March after I replace some of the soil by giving them some bottom heat, and they usually flower within a month or so.

In the past, I've had these bulbs produce offsets, so I must be doing something right. I know that they develop a very thick basal plate that the roots grow from, and that the bulb is somewhat sensitive to being wet and cold during its dormancy, and that it is a good idea to keep some of the roots alive while the plant is dormant, but that's about all I have figured out.

I also know I've seen a much bigger type than the one I grow, and I have no idea where to get it.

Joe 'still searching' DeRosa

Bookmark   January 5, 2004 at 9:48AM
sheila_perth(WA 10)

Joe, you're looking for Scadoxus multiflorus ssp. Katherinae.

Here is a link that might be useful: Scadoxus

Bookmark   February 15, 2004 at 7:33AM
More Discussions
Amaryllis paradisicola
Perhaps I have an intrusive question but I try carefully. I...
ton2
Protea subvestita
I have always liked Proteas, but they can't be grown...
bill_ri_z6b
Erythrina Acanthocarpa
Hi gardenweb members Does anyone know care instructions...
ashur
cryptostephanus vasonii or haemanthoids
Looking for cryptostephanus vasonii or haemanthoids...
jools4
Propagating crocosmia
Can you propagate this plant by leaf cuttings and if...
wexgardener
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™