Pruning Leucadenrons

GSGJoe(CA17 Sf)January 15, 2005

I hate to say it, but I'm afraid to prune my leucadendron argenteum, safari sunshine and red tulip. The argenteum has grown about four feet in the last 9 months, and has grown a ring of about 20 branches with a leader continuing up from there. I know that if I don't prune it, it will become tall, spindly and thin at the bottom.

My question is this: when is the best time to prune them? The safari sunshine and red tulip are struggling to grow taller than the deck so that they finally get some sun, and the shady, dark, wet San Francisco winter hasn't killed them yet, so I'm planning on just letting them grow. Its mainly the argenteum.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bahia(SF Bay Area)

The L. argenteum is typically grown as a single trunk tree rather than a shrub, and this is what it prefers to grow as, so unless you have a particular reason to prune it, I would leave the central leader alone. If you want to encourage bushier growth on side branches, you can certainly tip pinch them. The other shrubby Leucadendrons all benefit from tip pinching to make them less leggy, and/or bushier, but it sounds like you have planted them in less than full sun which they need to stay more compact. If they are reaching for the light, even regular tip pinching will not keep them more compact. You can pretty much tip pinch at any season, I usually wait until the fresh growth has hardened off abit myself.

Bookmark   January 24, 2005 at 8:45PM
More Discussions
Protea cynaroides growth and flowering patterns.
Hi everybody! I have a question about Protea cynaroides...
petarkostov
cryptostephanus vasonii or haemanthoids
Looking for cryptostephanus vasonii or haemanthoids...
jools4
Protea subvestita
I have always liked Proteas, but they can't be grown...
bill_ri_z6b
Kaffir Lily Division
I somehow learnt a lesson this season. My kafir lily...
achang89
Amaryllis paradisicola
Perhaps I have an intrusive question but I try carefully. I...
ton2
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™