Melasphaerula ramosa

PookiesmomJanuary 11, 2005

Greetings! 3 winters ago I bought two plants of Melasphaerula ramosa from the UC Berkeley Botanical GArdens. I planted them in my gravel garden and after they had flowered and set seed I sprinkled them around the garden and did so last spring as well. I cannot believe how well they have done! I have about 8 mature clumps that will flower this winter...the original two plus 6 new ones and literally thousands of babies in various sizes (from grass-size to more robust.) I have transplanted a few of the largest to other locations, but then got to thinking maybe I am aiding a monster, this plant clearly likes my garden.

Is is wise to encourage this plant or am I asking for trouble? It is a lovely flowering bulb!

Thanks,

Claire

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
socal23(USDA10/Sunset23)

Given present behavior as well as a webpage that describes its distribution thus: "Southern Namibia to Western Cape" I suspect that it would be very happy indeed here in California.
However, if you aren't living adjacent to any wildland, that's your problem. I might be interested in trying it out myself as I have discovered that I have little difficulty in controlling Chasmanthe, another very vigorous South African "bulb".

Ryan

Bookmark   January 13, 2005 at 10:33AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
MarcR(z 8 OR)

I have been searching for seed or plants of any specie of
Melasphaerula. Is there any chance of aranging a trade. I have second year seedlings of about 34 species of 19 genra of South African Iridaceae.

Bookmark   April 11, 2005 at 3:01AM
More Discussions
Gerbera Daisies - I am VERY new to this!!
Hi everyone! I am VERY new to gardening. VERY NEW....
JenH1723
Help with identifying a small succulent
Hi, I am having trouble accurately identifying this...
Mrcloc
Madagascar Palm help
Hi, I have a Madagascar palm that grows well indoors,...
Yuyu
black bugs on Mgambo flowers
What can I do to combat tiny black bugs attacking my...
ckekai334
Identification.
Good day. I would like to identify this tree. I tried...
Loekie1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™