Suggestions for 2011?

tlowery04(6b/7a)December 31, 2010

Hi!

I'm collecting seeds for my 2011 garden and am wondering what recommendations people had.

first: what i use them for - Primarily I dry my peppers and grind them into some delicious powdered spices in the fine setting on my coffee grinder. I also can salsa, pickle peppers and eat them in fajitas as a snack or quick meal.

I have a source for my Serrano and jalapeno peppers, I bought some nice prolific producers last year but did not save the seeds so i will hope they are the same plants this year.

I would love a good meaty large cayenne, recommendations for large or well producing jalapenos for making chipotle next fall, recommendations for Serrano, and I would love to grow some super hots or anything else that would be good dried and ground to give me a unique flavor to add to my recipes and kitchen spice cabinet.

ALSO I am interested in various other veggies and beneficial insect attracting flowers to control populations of beetles and caterpillars (thats how that works right?)

have a good one, I will be burning off my garden as soon as the wind dies down.

-Trent

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jolokster(5)

If you are looking for something with a great/unique flavor I suggest trying some aji's.I've tried aji limon,aji yellow, and aji benito and they are all excellent!I will be growing beni highlands and aribibi gusano this year also which are supposed to be great for unique flavor also.As far as pickling peppers go I love monkey face peppers.As far as super hots go I think the yellow 7 pod is by far the tops.

Bookmark   December 31, 2010 at 2:35PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tsheets(5)

A nice base for powder is Poblano/Ancho.

One that has a really unique flavor is the Fatalii.

Bookmark   January 4, 2011 at 2:28PM
More Discussions
will my pepper seeds sprout?
I am planning to start to grow some pepper plants and...
mariorossi3c
Fish pepper info?
Once more turning to my hot pepper elders... I used...
uncleflip
How's your overwinter going?
How's everyones overwintering going? This was my first...
ozzy2001
MY PEPPER LIST FOR 2015
I GROW IN 5 GAL. WOODEN POTS ON MY DECK. CHARLSTON...
dac596
bad batch of corn … oh
OTOH nothing happened after 26 days with my first batch...
bragu_DSM 5
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™