Growing them hot, the hotter the better

fusion_powerDecember 26, 2012

I'd like to get input from experienced growers on ways to get the maximum heat out of peppers. Here are a few of my tricks that seem to work wonders.

Start out with genetics. You can't grow a really hot pepper if you start out with seed of a variety that does not normally get very hot. Trinidad Scorpion Moruga, Chocolate 7 Pot, Bhut Jolokia, etc are some of the varieties that will get over the 1 million Scoville mark.

I had excellent results this year from putting extremely high levels of organics into the soil before planting my peppers and adding more as the season progressed. I used 3.8 cubic feet of peat moss plus 10 bags of compost (40 lbs each) under 10 pepper plants. This area also had adequate rainfall that was spread very well over time. The result was the heaviest crop of peppers I've ever grown. The Moruga and Bhut peppers exceeded any heat level I've ever grown before.

So what are your favorite tips for growing them super hot?

DarJones

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Djole(6)

Stress before picking, in any way imaginable.

Djole

Bookmark   December 27, 2012 at 9:33AM
habjolokia

Fortunately for me I live in MD so high humidity attributes to pepper heat and the use of Alaska fish fert 5-1-1 and mild to moderate stress. The variety of course helps.

Mark

Bookmark   December 27, 2012 at 9:43AM
Edymnion(7a)

Yup, stressed peppers crank up the heat in their pods. Generally this is why the peppers I pick in the middle of the summer are the hottest, simply because it is *SO* hot here (typically 100F+) and the soil dries out so quickly that the plants are always wilting fairly badly from the heat (aka they are stressed).

Thats the safest way I know of to stress peppers in order to make them hotter, withhold water for longer than you normally would.

Bookmark   December 28, 2012 at 10:35AM
roper2008 (7b)

I didn't know high humidity attributes to pepper heat. Humidity is
something we have a lot of here in summer.

Bookmark   December 30, 2012 at 9:47AM
TheMasterGardener1(5B)

Lack of water. Make sure they get good sun levels. Really, it is genetics and climate. My plants end up wilting between waters which is a good sign to water again. It stops me from ever over watering. Of course I never let them wilt too long.

Bookmark   December 30, 2012 at 11:41AM
More Discussions
Effect of Temperatures, Day Length, Rain/Moist'r on . Peppers.
Title speaks for itself, to some extent. But let's...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
My Carolina Reapers and Naga Viper need help!
As you can see from the pictures above each of the...
krystalpepper
Hate the new layout
How about you? Usually, I don't care, but this blows. Kevin...
woohooman
will my pepper seeds sprout?
I am planning to start to grow some pepper plants and...
mariorossi3c
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™