New Clivia

socal23(USDA10/Sunset23)February 23, 2003

A new species of Clivia has been discovered which should be of great interest to us Californians, unlike the others it is from the Northern Cape, in a winter-rainfall region. Seeds will be available to the public in a few months (whether this includes international interests remains to be seen of course).

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
modjadje(Willamette Valley Zone 8)

Thank you for sharing this info with us, Ryan! As they say, "always something new out of Africa" ... I am a big Clivia admirer and have two plants (kept indoors during winter) which I grew from South African "seed" ... would love to grow some of these new ones when it becomes available. Delina

Bookmark   February 23, 2003 at 11:35PM
Floral_Artistry

I wouldn't expect it too quickly to hit the market. I would love to get one too but I think the few plants that are in cultivation will be gobbled up by those best connected first. I would think that they should be available in about 2-3 years. They will more than likely be like C. nobilis and caulescens. Not a major commercial plant like miniata has become.
John Ingram

Bookmark   February 24, 2003 at 12:14AM
mangofox(7 USA)

Could some one give me a good source to learn about Clavia's, please? I recently got one and want to learn hoe to care for it. Mine has gotten a flower that is in the center at the base of the plant. Does the stalk grow after the bloom?

Bookmark   May 23, 2003 at 9:22PM
Elly1(zone 6)

This is a good site!
good Clivia site
Elly

Bookmark   May 26, 2003 at 7:45PM
frenchgirl2838(Earth)

Try Clivia Creations or do a google search for David Conways Clivia in California. I used to have his address but it escapes me at the moment. There is also new place in the Boston area that has a very nice selection. I think it is called Blackstone Valley exotic plants or something. I can think of a few more, but not at the moment. Then there is always Stokes Tropicals. Good luck. Sebrina

Bookmark   November 16, 2003 at 8:27PM
frenchgirl2838(Earth)

Sorry, I realized after I posted that I was way off on what you were saying. I think John has a point that these will probably not be considered to be a high demand item for some time to come.

Bookmark   November 17, 2003 at 6:53PM
Sowth Efrikan

Oh! I was so excited there for a minute when I saw the good clivia site, but what I am looking for are clivia plants, not seed which is what they offer.

Does anyone know where I can buy healthy, strong, reasonably mature clivia plants? They aren't exactly available in any of our local nurseries. Thanks.

Bookmark   November 26, 2003 at 12:02PM
Mikey(SoCal-Z10-22/23)

The below link carries at least one color of them but I should think there must be someone in your area as most nurseries around here carry at least the common types.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kartuz Nursery

Bookmark   November 30, 2003 at 2:32PM
Sowth Efrikan

Excellent, thank you Mikey, it's exactly what I wanted. I have yet to see Clivia anywhere in my corner of NETexas. Most people around here don't know what it is.

Bookmark   December 1, 2003 at 1:29PM
More Discussions
Pruning a jade
Hey GW, First off I'd like to say I'm new to the forum,...
ep5815
Protea seed search
Hi, I am looking for some harder to find Protea seeds...
mike726
Marula
Has anyone grown a Marula tree (Schlerocarya birrea)?...
katie7b
cryptostephanus vasonii or haemanthoids
Looking for cryptostephanus vasonii or haemanthoids...
jools4
need to identify flower found in Kenya
Hi i need help in identifing these flowers i found...
curious_2
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™