Haemanthus coccineus, bulb

sheila_perth(WA 10)March 31, 2003

Haemanthus coccineus, native to Zimbabwe. Common names, paintbrush lily, blood lily, catherine wheel and April Fool. Flowers in autumn.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
safariofthemind(z7b NC)

Very nice. Just got three of these babies and can't wait to see them bloom. Thanks for the pic. RJ

Bookmark   March 31, 2003 at 5:41PM
modjadje(Willamette Valley Zone 8)

Hi Sheila, thanks for posting that glorious picture.
I don't think it grows in Zimbabwe, though, although another Haemanthus species, H. katherinae, does.

H. coccineus is found widely distributed in the winter-rainfall area of South Africa, in the Western Cape Province and north into Namibia, and east beyond Grahamstown in the Eastern Cape Province as far as the Keiskamma river valley.
The Haemanthus species which does grow in Zimbabwe is H. katherinae which range includes the Eastern Province, Natal, Swaziland, the eastern Transvaal and Zimbabwe. It is one of the most handsome of the species and the most widely known because it was grown in Europe in the late 1800s, usually as a pot plant.
H. katherinae is dormant in the winter, whereas H. coccinae is dormant during the summer.

RJ, I read on the web that they grow easily from seed ... you have now inspired me to also grow some, if they take I'll keep them potted. Happy growing! Delina

Bookmark   March 31, 2003 at 9:59PM
sheila_perth(WA 10)

Hi Delina, H. multiflorus ssp. Katherinae is now Scadoxus multiflorus ssp.Katherinae. I grow this too, will post a pic, as you say it is very handsome.

Bookmark   April 1, 2003 at 7:18AM
modjadje(Willamette Valley Zone 8)

Hi Sheila, your garden must be breathtakingly beautiful and your climate very kind ... wish i could see it! Thanks for sharing the info, i was not aware, my book is pretty old. Delina
P.S. I noticed on the Bulb forum that RJ is asking about Chilean bulbs ... where are the leucocorynes from?

Bookmark   April 1, 2003 at 8:19PM
sheila_perth(WA 10)

From Chile! I havn't looked in the bulb forum for so long, I'll go now.
Leucocoryne are my favourite bulbs.

Bookmark   April 1, 2003 at 10:32PM
safariofthemind(z7b NC)

Thanks you all. Appreciate it. I didn't want to post off topic stuff here. RJ

Bookmark   April 1, 2003 at 11:55PM
beverley_higgins_yahoo_com_au

l have a patch of the subject bulbs they are spectacular at the moment the flowers are almost all up and l love the huge lush leaves that come up after the flowers have died off l was told they are quite rare is this true? cheers bev

Bookmark   March 12, 2011 at 7:51PM
More Discussions
Kaffir Lily Division
I somehow learnt a lesson this season. My kafir lily...
achang89
Amaryllis paradisicola
Perhaps I have an intrusive question but I try carefully. I...
ton2
Anyone growing Proteas as a houseplant?
Is anyone growing any proteas as houseplants? I have...
livingfossil
cycads
Where can I sell a collection of Cycads? Not mine....
bev2
cryptostephanus vasonii or haemanthoids
Looking for cryptostephanus vasonii or haemanthoids...
jools4
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™