hypoestes aristata- ribbon bush

annafl(z9b/10a Sarasota)March 25, 2007

I'm in Florida and just purchased three of these bushes. I'm concerned about our heat and humidity and how they'll do. Tag said full sun/part shade, but they were a bit wilted in the sun. How do you grow these? The tag also says it flowers fall and winter, but this one is starting to flower now. I'm confused about where to plant it and how long it flowers. Please help!

Anna

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bahia(SF Bay Area)

I'm not sure it acts the same in your Florida conditions as it does here in California. It comes from the subtropical summer rainfall areas of South Africa, but probably mostly occurs at higher elevations in the mountains where the heat and humidity is not as extreme as it is in Florida. Here in California it typically does start blooming in fall with shorter day length, and will continue into spring in southern California, but typically stops blooming with onset of colder weather in late December here in the San Francisco Bay Area. It is very prone to growing long floppy stems, and benefits from being tip pinched to promote bushiness several times after it finishes blooming. Of you could plant lower growing shrubs around it to help support the stems if you prefer to let it get tall. It is also very easy to start from new cuttings, and is a somewhat short lived perennial shrub in my opinion, that is best replaced with new ones after 3 to 4 years of growth.

Bookmark   March 31, 2007 at 10:49PM
More Discussions
Boophane distichia
I have a very large Boophane distichia bulb (it's in...
stevejohn
Identification.
Good day. I would like to identify this tree. I tried...
Loekie1
Amaryllis paradisicola
Perhaps I have an intrusive question but I try carefully. I...
ton2
Oxalis obtusa pollination?
I attempted to cross pollinate some of my o.obtusa...
rredbbeard
Protea seed search
Hi, I am looking for some harder to find Protea seeds...
Mike726
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™