Gerber Daisies not blooming!

kparker(7)April 28, 2006

Hi everyone,

I heard that gerbera daisies (Gerber daisies) are originally from Africa, so I thought I'd ask all of you African plant experts a question!

I live in Oklahoma City, and I have some gerberas planted in a pot. They were blooming profusely when I bought them in March, but have not produced any new blooms since, despite my removing the spent blooms.

The foliage is looking great, and I can see some little white buds way down at the base of the leaves, but those have been there for weeks and have not formed into flowers.

So here's my question: Why aren't they blooming? Is this a problem with the amount of sunshine? I first had them placed in a shade garden where they only received filtered sun, and then (in an effort to get them to bloom), moved them to almost full sun. But still nothing.

Also, the temperatures here have been pretty high (high 80s, low 90s).

What is the ideal location/amount of sun for gerbera daisies in Oklahoma?

Thank you very much!

-kparker

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
meredith_chloe

I am having the same problem! I could use some help too! One of my pots is blooming just fine, while another one is not blooming at all and then I have a planter that has two plants in it and JUST one plant decided to rebloom and the other one did not!! I live is Illinois and the temps. have not been high mid 70's to low 80's. I had them in the shade and now have moved them to partial sun. I see the flower bud start and them they die off before they become a bloom. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bookmark   June 30, 2006 at 9:18AM
lindy_2006

Please help! I am having the same problem. I have two pots of gerger daisies and one is blooming nicely while the other is not and the last flower is about to expire with no new blooms in sight. What can I do to help it to bloom?

Bookmark   July 23, 2006 at 2:22AM
mlgd(USDA 6)

Gerbera daisies need 50-55 degree F night time temperatures to set but. So...hold on to the plants, keep them healthy, and they should bloom again when the nights are cooler in the fall.

Bookmark   July 27, 2006 at 8:07AM
More Discussions
cycads
Where can I sell a collection of Cycads? Not mine....
bev2
Anyone growing Proteas as a houseplant?
Is anyone growing any proteas as houseplants? I have...
livingfossil
Propagating crocosmia
Can you propagate this plant by leaf cuttings and if...
wexgardener
Advice needed-transplanting proteas
Hi all. I would really like your opinion on when the...
liezelgil
Erythrina Acanthocarpa
Hi gardenweb members Does anyone know care instructions...
ashur
Sponsored Products
Gerber Daisy Food Dome
$8.99 | zulily
Gerber McKenzie Ottoman
Cost Plus World Market
Gerber Plymouth Wall-Hung Bathroom Sink
Signature Hardware
Gerber Bathroom Allerton Pedestal Combo Bathroom Sink in White G0022579
Home Depot
Herb Dickinson 'Gerber Time IV' Gallery-Wrapped Canvas
Overstock.com