Please help a plant care novice

amutchler(6)April 26, 2006

Hi,

I just recently got a Sun Star for my birthday and I'm woefully unprepared to care for it properly. The instructions said to keep the soil uniformly moist and that as an indoor plant it needs bright light (but can't tolerate frost). I've been watering it every day (not too much water but just so the top soil feels moist to the touch) and leaving it right on my window sil. It gets lots of morning light and some general indirect light through the day. After a week, though, the tips of the leaves are burning and some of the flower heads are withering. If some one could simplify the instructions or give me any tips on what to do I'd really appreciate it. This is the first plant that has been solely in my care and I really want it to thrive.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
socal23(USDA10/Sunset23)

I'm sorry I missed this thread until now. The genus name for the plant is Ornithogalum, most likely a hybrid between O. dubium and some of the other South African species. Their native habitat is winter wet/ summer dry so they like cool, frost-free conditions with plenty of water while in growth and bloom and a dry summer dormancy.

Ryan

Bookmark   May 30, 2006 at 3:11AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lolakincks

I need help with my sun star that I got a month ago. My plant has these wierd white and blacks 'bugs' or eggs every where, and they don't move they just multiply. Also the bug things are not on my other plant, the lilly of the valley, which is right next to it. Please hlep me get rid of theses things.

Joana

Bookmark   May 31, 2006 at 9:14PM
More Discussions
Anyone growing Proteas as a houseplant?
Is anyone growing any proteas as houseplants? I have...
livingfossil
Protea subvestita
I have always liked Proteas, but they can't be grown...
bill_ri_z6b
Kukumakranka ( Gethyllis)
Not many postings to the forum lately. Some thing to...
Garrickza
Streptocarpus wendlandii - my first.
Hello. So after watching gardeners world and Chelsea...
mushibu10
Help with identifying a small succulent
Hi, I am having trouble accurately identifying this...
Mrcloc
Sponsored Products
Dresden Mirrored Console
$699.00 | Horchow
MissoniHome Rug Collection - Jubilee
| Italy Design
White Flat Bathroom Heated Towel Radiator Rail 31.5 x 23.5
Hudson Reed
Olde World Silver Three-Light Crystal Swarovski Elements Wall Sconce, 14.5W x 20
$966.00 | Bellacor
Kubix Concealed 1 Outlet Twin Thermostatic Shower Valve (Slim Plate)
Hudson Reed
Filament Design Bathroom Lighting Concord 3-Light Ceiling Black Copper
Home Depot
SFERRA Festival Set of Four Cocktail Napkins
$25.00 | FRONTGATE
Remote for Battery-operated Outdoor Flameless Candle
$9.50 | FRONTGATE
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™