watsonia--yellowing, browning leaves normal?

yogafemme(CA z9/sunset 17)May 17, 2004

Hi. I have three watsonia that have done great so far this spring, but now I'm noticing that some of the leaves of all the plants are turning yellow at the edges and browning at the tips. Is this normal for this plant, or am I overwatering? underwatering? Also, for how long do they typically bloom? Thanks!

-patricia

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
faeden(z9 CA)

Many bulbs' foliage eventually dies each year. It's normal.

Watsonia are both deciduous and evergreen, depending on the species. In addition, again depending on the species, they flower from spring to early fall. So in order to answer your question with any authority, it is necessary to know the species. That having been said, here is a little information re Watsonias.

Are they in pots or in the ground? If in pots, the pots must be at least 12" deep to accommodate the bulbs' roots.

If they are deciduous and early flowering, the timing would be about right for the foliage to begin dying back. In all other cases it would seem to me to be too early.

Watsonia in general survive better in drier conditions, so make sure the soil is really quick-draining. If you've been watering them a lot, it would be a good idea to stop and let the soil dry out some.

Spring-flowering ones need moisture during winter and spring and dry summers. Summer-flowering ones need to be watered during the summer. Evergreen species require water throughout the year.

Hope this helps.

Bookmark   May 18, 2004 at 3:44AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yogafemme(CA z9/sunset 17)

thanks! It does help. I'm pretty sure that the ones that I have are the spring flowering one (beatricis) because it's got the narrower leaves, so it makes sense that it would be dropping leaves now. Also, my soil is slightly clay, so while I have amended someone to lighten it, I'll probably need to ease back on the watering. -patricia

Bookmark   May 18, 2004 at 2:49PM
More Discussions
Protea cynaroides growth and flowering patterns.
Hi everybody! I have a question about Protea cynaroides...
petarkostov
Madagascar Palm help
Hi, I have a Madagascar palm that grows well indoors,...
Yuyu
Pruning a jade
Hey GW, First off I'd like to say I'm new to the forum,...
ep5815
Anyone growing Proteas as a houseplant?
Is anyone growing any proteas as houseplants? I have...
livingfossil
Protea subvestita
I have always liked Proteas, but they can't be grown...
bill_ri_z6b
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™