Anyone growing Proteas as a houseplant?

livingfossil(6a Dayton OH)May 28, 2009

Is anyone growing any proteas as houseplants? I have had success in growing cycads as houseplants. Since I live in Ohio, they go out in the late Spring/Summer/early fall and overwinter in my house with a plant light during the rest of the year. Can the same thing be done with a protea? I really want to grow one of these. Is there perhaps a more hardy species?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
JudyWWW(z7/WA)

Hello....I am growing several in my greenhouse which I keep at 40 degrees or above in the winter both for the proteas and for some vireyas (tropical rhodies). I put them outside in their pots last summer and have had them out again as so as the nights didn't go below 45 although I did protect them from heavy rain until we got to really warm weather.
I have 4 proteas: P. cynaroides, P.burchelli, Leucospermum cordifolium, Leucadendron uliginosum all started from seed from a starter pack from Finebushpeople.co.za
I have a couple of books on growing proteas and they say that P.cynaroides (King Protea) is the best suited for greenhouse growing because it tolerates a wider range of moisture. I would think they could be grown indoors but they do get very large. Here in the pacific northwest there are a few leucodedrons which are grown outdoors in some of the more protected microclimates around Portland and probably also around Puget Sound.
Happy protea growing. jwww

Bookmark   June 27, 2009 at 11:38PM
livingfossil(6a Dayton OH)

Wow, thank you so much for the help and the website. I will definitely be ordering a seed pack next spring to start growing proteas. :D

Bookmark   June 28, 2009 at 1:09AM
JudyWWW(z7/WA)

Dear D.....
All I have read says to plant them in our late spring (their late autumn). So getting your seeds for next spring would work. Other starter packs I got from the same company require stating in our autumn (restios and heathers).
happy growing.....jwww

Bookmark   July 4, 2009 at 11:48AM
SApat

Curious, did you ever succeed growing Proteas indoors? I have spent hundreds of dollars trying to grow Proteas indoors and still don't have one plant to show for it, they have all died.
Having now moved to Cleveland, OH, I have a basement and my thinking is to put a dehumidifier in with some grow lights and maybe give it another go.
Any thoughts or ideas appreciated.

Bookmark   February 2, 2014 at 1:01PM
More Discussions
proteas in pots
I just bought a couple of plants I've been drooling...
xenozoon
black bugs on Mgambo flowers
What can I do to combat tiny black bugs attacking my...
ckekai334
Amaryllis paradisicola
Perhaps I have an intrusive question but I try carefully. I...
ton2
Gardening in ZA!
Hi all! I just started a garden and am wondering where...
jennapete912
Madagascar Palm help
Hi, I have a Madagascar palm that grows well indoors,...
Yuyu
Sponsored Products
New Balouch Village Made Geometric Blue Runner Rug Hand Knotted Wool Free P
BH Sun Inc
Ava Emerald Fabric Metal Dining Chair
bryght.com
Portland Wool Blend Area Rug
Home Decorators Collection
Loll Designs Curve Adirondack Rocker - Loll Designs
$669.00 | HORNE
Sports Team Vertical Frame
Home Decorators Collection