productivity?

gfinnilDecember 27, 2013

I have access to a small garden that isn't used at my high school (other teacher gave up) and want pure productivity...so I'm planning on a habanero/scotch bonnet garden. 4 plants each of Orange Habs, MOA Scotch Bonnets, JA Habaneros and Yelllow Fatalii. Still trying to finalize my list for home, but Aji Pineapple, Brazilian Starfish, TS Yellow Cardi and some type of Thai will be there...along with SBJ7.
Jerry

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tsheets(5)

Was there a question in there somewhere? ;-)

Most of the more common varieties are very productive. Generally speaking, the larger the fruit, the fewer of them there are. Not sure how varieties would compare by weight.

Bookmark   December 27, 2013 at 7:27PM
DMForcier(8 DFW)

What's a SBJ7 ?

Bookmark   December 28, 2013 at 2:16PM
ka0ttic(CFL 9b)

DMForcier, I may be mistaken but I think it's a cross between a Scotch Bonnet and a 7pot Jonah.

Bookmark   December 29, 2013 at 12:32AM
judo_and_peppers(Tampa FL)

I assumed that's what he was talking about too. I've got some of those in seedling form in my backyard right now.

if you're looking for crazy productivity plant tabasco.

Bookmark   December 29, 2013 at 2:47AM
tomt226

I had HUGE success with Red Ghosts, Numex Suave Orange habs, Thai Hots, Petins, Tepins, and Corno Del Toros.
The 5 Numex plants were 5-7' tall at frost and made several bushels. The 4 Ghosts made at least a bushel and got 6' tall. Got a few bushels out of the Corno's, and several quarts from the Thai's. The Pequins and Tepins being so small each made a couple of gallon zip lock bags full.
I would think with an acre you could grow lots of Numex Suaves, which would sell well as they have an intense hab flavor without the heat. I use the Ghosts to kick up the heat when making salsa from the Numex habs.
This spring, Lemon Drops, some yellow tomatoes, and Numex's for a true yellow salsa.
I need to train a couple of monkeys to pick the Tepins and Pequins as it's really hard on the old back...

Bookmark   December 30, 2013 at 5:55PM
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

Since super hots are usually used for sauce and powder, ripening is important. So a pepper might be productive all right, but might not ripen in cooler and short season climates.

But on the other hand semi hot and mild pepper are used and can be used at any stage during the season. One example : Hungarian Hot Wax.

Bookmark   December 30, 2013 at 9:20PM
More Discussions
Fish pepper info?
Once more turning to my hot pepper elders... I used...
uncleflip
bad batch of corn … oh
OTOH nothing happened after 26 days with my first batch...
bragu_DSM 5
Pepper plant wilting
Not sure what's going on here. This plant nearly died...
uncle_flip
Need advice on how to suspend shop lights.
So I bought the below metal shelving to house seedling...
peps_22
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™