Watsonia -- When to divide

jrgardner(z8b FL)July 7, 2006

My watsonia have been in the same place for three years now and I'm wondering now if it is time to divide them. The first two year's worth of blooms were wonderful, but this year was paltry in comparison. However, there seems to be many more leaves that there were. Would dividing help? and when is the best time (I'm assuming fall/winter, but I though I'd better ask). I'm in zone 8b.

Thanks,

JR

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vetivert8(NI-NZ zone 9a)

Have you got the Watsonia that goes sort of dormant over July-August - and flowers in spring-early summer? If that's the one - lift it when it's dormant and plant on so it can start growing when the autumn rains arrive.

If you have heavy frosts - and the evergreen Watsonia - break the clump in spring so it has a good length of growing season to establish.

Is your clump getting plenty of sun and not too much food? They don't do well if they are in too much shade during the day.

Bookmark   July 12, 2006 at 12:46AM
deejaus

Although with most bulbs you would wait for the foliage to die down, with Watsonias you can do it while they are still green. Just do it after they have finished flowering, but make sure you plant them as soon as you have divided them.

Bookmark   July 12, 2006 at 12:47AM
jrgardner(z8b FL)

I'm not sure when they go dormant, but they are evergreen. They get full west sun and we don't have very cold winters (I'm in the NW part of Florida) and I don't really feed anything -- except by adding compost in the spring.

Thanks for your help with this. I'm going to give it a shot and divide them. It will be interesting to see how many plants are there -- I started with three bulbs.

Bookmark   July 12, 2006 at 10:33AM
More Discussions
Kaffir Lily Division
I somehow learnt a lesson this season. My kafir lily...
achang89
Madagascar Palm help
Hi, I have a Madagascar palm that grows well indoors,...
Yuyu
Identification.
Good day. I would like to identify this tree. I tried...
Loekie1
Gerbera Daisies - I am VERY new to this!!
Hi everyone! I am VERY new to gardening. VERY NEW....
JenH1723
Marula
Has anyone grown a Marula tree (Schlerocarya birrea)?...
katie7b
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™