chichen itza hab (hybrid) - answer to the late habanero problem?

peps22December 14, 2013

Growing habs in the northeast is frustrating... The fruit are almost never ready till september. I purchased the hybrid that promises fruit a month earlier... Anyone try it before?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ottawapepper

I've never grown the chichen itza hab.

You may not have the space, lights, etc. but rather that going the hybrid route, have you thought about starting regular habs earlier for an earlier harvest?

Bookmark   December 16, 2013 at 6:23PM
peps22

I put them outside as soon as practical (mid-may). The seedlings are already two months old at that point. Every year, I do not get viable hab fruit until September.

Bookmark   December 18, 2013 at 6:48AM
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

I think a lot of peppers are day length sensitive. In my experience they fruit more late in the summer , when day length are about 13 hours. Normally, you would think that they should fruit in the warmers days of summer better, but why suddenly they get to work in September?.
This past season my Cubannele and Chilaca had couple of fruits all summer. Come September, they burst into flowers and pods, when night lows were in 40s.
I am sure there are exceptions. I hav an ornamental that kept fruiting all summer till frost.

Bookmark   December 18, 2013 at 2:23PM
More Discussions
Pepper plant wilting
Not sure what's going on here. This plant nearly died...
uncle_flip
Fish pepper info?
Once more turning to my hot pepper elders... I used...
uncleflip
Help for GardenWeb Users
https://support.houzz.com/hc/en-us/sections/200556848-Help-for-GardenWeb-Users...
ronnyb123
Wow! Sure seems slow!
In the midst of seedling season, I would expect the...
woohooman
Lemon Peppers
I grew these last year from store bought seeds. They...
cooperdr_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™