Yesterday, today & tomorrow

jrodom81(z7 Chatt TN)July 8, 2003

While visiting SA a few years ago I saw a large shrub/small tree that I was told had the above name. I know that it wouldn't overwinter here very well but I wondered if anyone might have a source in the SE US where I could get one. Also: does anyone know how this plant would survive indoors during the winter?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Garrickza(South Africa)

The botanical name for this shrub is Brunsfelsia. It is not native to South Africa but does very well all over the country and is a very common garden shrub. It is covered with masses of medium to small flowers which are white , a lilac shade and purplish , hence its name as the flowers turn into the 3 differents colours. The flowers have a lovely fragrance. There is also one which has much larger flowers. They are fairly slow growing , I had one which reached abour 2.5 metres high in a house I previously stayed in. They can withstand a fair degree of frost.
They like full sun or semi shade. I have never seen them grown indoors but maybe you should experiment. I am amazed at the plants that Americans over winter or even grow indoors , things that here we could never imagine could be kept indoors.
There seem to be American suppliers of plants and seeds , try searching on Brunsfelsia and also Brunfelsia on Google.

Bookmark   July 9, 2003 at 7:53PM
MissJuneBug(8b MS)

There is a HUGE one in the greenhouse at Bellingrath Gardens right out of Mobile, Alabama-I love that plant, everytime I go to the gardens to see it,the scent---like honey, to me, just overwhelms me.

Bookmark   July 11, 2003 at 12:01PM
jrodom81(z7 Chatt TN)

Thanks for the info. Out of curiousity, does anyone know where it is native if not SA?

Bookmark   July 12, 2003 at 7:30PM
jrodom81(z7 Chatt TN)

Just in case anyone else is interested...after googling brunfelsia I found this site. It says the plant is native to Brazil.

Here is a link that might be useful: Floridata - Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow

Bookmark   July 12, 2003 at 9:11PM
Carletta(9 TX)

It grows quite well in Houston, TX.

Bookmark   November 21, 2003 at 10:15AM
More Discussions
Erythrina Acanthocarpa
Hi gardenweb members Does anyone know care instructions...
ashur
cryptostephanus vasonii or haemanthoids
Looking for cryptostephanus vasonii or haemanthoids...
jools4
Gerbera Daisies - I am VERY new to this!!
Hi everyone! I am VERY new to gardening. VERY NEW....
JenH1723
Madagascar Palm help
Hi, I have a Madagascar palm that grows well indoors,...
Yuyu
Gardening in ZA!
Hi all! I just started a garden and am wondering where...
jennapete912
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™