Scarborough lily no blooms

halfhardybklyn(z7NY)August 3, 2004

Several years ago I purchased two bulbs of Vallota, the Scarborough lily. Since then they have multiplied and now fill two large gallon pots. The plants remain evergreen and in summer I put them on a west facing windowsill. I water them when I water my other plants. In all these years they have not flowered once. Any advice? What am I doing wrong?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
faeden(z9 CA)

While I grow these I also have trouble getting them to bloom. However, below are a few notes on Cyrtanthus elatus (synonym: Vallota speciosa) from my bulb society forum which might be of assistance. I'm also emailing you privately and attaching a much longer document on Cyrtanthus in general. Some of the cultivation notes there might apply to your specific plant.

NOTES:

"The form usually cultivated by growers reproduces vegetation at a sometimes alarming rapid rate--the clumps become overcrowded very quickly and, if they are not lifted, split up and replanted on a very regular basis, flowering can cease. They prefer full sun rather than shade and flower mainly in summer."

"Here in the UK people have no problem getting C. elatus to flower. A friend, not a gardener, has one in an out building which flowers every year without fail even though it is rarely watered."

"Cyrtanthus elatus never bloomed for me in all the years that I had it. I have to say that I threw out my last bulbs of C. elatus several years ago! Never again will I waste good greenhouse space on Cyrtanthus elatus."

Bookmark   September 4, 2004 at 1:22PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
organic_saika

I have a large pot full of Scarborough Lilies . They originally belonged to my mother in law back in the late 1950's and she gave them to me at that time . They always flower every year in late August here , but in England they flowered in September . They love the sun or very light shade and dont like too much water maybe once a week is best. They like to be outside in summer and in during winter. I only transplant them when they get really crowded as they seem to love being somewhat potbound. When transplanting give them good potting compost
and keep them damp .
A west facing window would not be sunny enough for them

Bookmark   August 19, 2010 at 4:52PM
More Discussions
cryptostephanus vasonii or haemanthoids
Looking for cryptostephanus vasonii or haemanthoids...
jools4
Help with identifying a small succulent
Hi, I am having trouble accurately identifying this...
Mrcloc
Anyone growing Proteas as a houseplant?
Is anyone growing any proteas as houseplants? I have...
livingfossil
Pruning a jade
Hey GW, First off I'd like to say I'm new to the forum,...
ep5815
Amaryllis paradisicola
Perhaps I have an intrusive question but I try carefully. I...
ton2
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™