Where is Malolotja or Kwa-Zulu-Natal ?

conroe_joe(9a)August 17, 2003

Hi,

A friend gave me a small plant of Aloe marlothii. I'm curious to know if it is winter-growing, or summer-growing, etc.; what is the climate like where if comes from. Does it expect water in cool weather or hot, or variable.

I found one Web site that describes it as winter-flowering, and part of the flora of Malolotja. Another Web site describes its best season as winter and spring, with at least some plants coming from Kwa-Zulu-Natal.

LINKS

http://www.sntc.org.sz/picfiles/aloemarl.html

http://gardening.worldonline.co.za/1039.htm

Cordially,

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
    Bookmark   August 17, 2003 at 11:55PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Garrickza(South Africa)

Both KwaZulu-Natal and the Transvaal and Swaziland , which are its home ranges are summer rainfall regions , so one should water during summer and give only a little water in winter. It was named after Professor Marloth , who was one ot the most famous S.A. botanists. It grows in the Malolotja National Park but is endemic to almost the whole of the ex Transvaal Province.As with a lot of our plants it should not be fertilised , give it some compost rather and ensure that it has well drained soil and a full sun position. Aloes often grow on hill slopes in the wild (ie well drained spots). Aloes are remarkably adaptable to different environments and often thrive on neglect. They are often planted at traffic intersections over here , where they get very little if any care.

Bookmark   August 18, 2003 at 7:33PM
More Discussions
Kaffir Lily Division
I somehow learnt a lesson this season. My kafir lily...
achang89
Amaryllis paradisicola
Perhaps I have an intrusive question but I try carefully. I...
ton2
Help with identifying a small succulent
Hi, I am having trouble accurately identifying this...
Mrcloc
Protea cynaroides growth and flowering patterns.
Hi everybody! I have a question about Protea cynaroides...
petarkostov
cycads
Where can I sell a collection of Cycads? Not mine....
bev2
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™