leucadendron summer sun

weeddummie(ACT Aust)September 10, 2005

Dear garden webbers,

I have a small "summer sun" leucadendron laureolum x stobilinum which I'd like to plant in my garden. It seems to grow up to 1.5m high and wide. I was wondering where is a better place to plant it - I have a couple of sunny spots for it. How far does its root system go? Is it ok to plant it a few feet away from a fruit tree? Or maybe it's better closer to the other native australian plants I have (that don't need regulary fertilising).

Does anyone know how fast it grows, and anything else I should know about this plant? I only have a protea so far and its structure looks quite similar...Can someone explain how proteas and leucadendrons are different, characteristic-wise? Lotsa thanks :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
socal23(USDA10/Sunset23)

I would avoid planting near a fruit tree, like all Proteaceae it has far-ranging roots that will absorb fatal levels of phosphorous and they don't need a lot of nitrogen. Two nutrients fruit trees typically use in abundance.

Ryan

Bookmark   September 10, 2005 at 12:55PM
weeddummie(ACT Aust)

Thanks for the reply Ryan. I have a strawberry plant, a japanese maple and peach tree - and if I put the new proteaceae in the spot where I have two other native plants are, it will be 2-3 metres away from the fruits and non-natives (on the same bed), rather than 2-3 feet.

Is this far enough?

Bookmark   September 10, 2005 at 7:21PM
socal23(USDA10/Sunset23)

I wouldn't think it would be a problem. AFAIK, the biggest problem is when the whole root zone is fertilized, I'm not sure if anyone has looked at the effects of roots growing into fertilized area.

Ryan

Bookmark   September 13, 2005 at 11:01PM
More Discussions
Protea cynaroides growth and flowering patterns.
Hi everybody! I have a question about Protea cynaroides...
petarkostov
Propagating crocosmia
Can you propagate this plant by leaf cuttings and if...
wexgardener
Anyone growing Proteas as a houseplant?
Is anyone growing any proteas as houseplants? I have...
livingfossil
cycads
Where can I sell a collection of Cycads? Not mine....
bev2
Amaryllis paradisicola
Perhaps I have an intrusive question but I try carefully. I...
ton2
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™