a winter harvest pic for the northerners

judo_and_peppers(Tampa FL)December 13, 2013

I figured I'd post this just to annoy the non-Floridian chiliheads on this forum.

here's a pic of a winter harvest, picked yesterday. I've been told not to be too alarmed if winter pods are smaller than their summer counterparts, so I'm not gonna worry that most the habs are less than half the size I'd expect them to be. the tabascos have been that small all year though. maybe it's a cross, maybe it's just because the plant was badly stunted.

this is just the beginning for the thai peppers though, there's 10x more pods on the plants currently ripening. and there were 6 more green brains on the plant, waiting to ripen. there woulda been 3 more brains to show in the pic, but I've been making fruit x pepper jam, and the brain strain is the best candidate for this, IMHO.

and yes, a white paper towel is always my backdrop for harvest pics. unlike some/most of you, my harvests are never big enough to need anything more than that.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
CanadianLori(6a Oakville)

I just picked another Devil's Tongue about 20 minutes ago.

Yup, it's 20F outside but in my little GH it's 60- can hardware wait to see what that gas bill is going to be...

Bookmark   December 13, 2013 at 3:54PM

let's see if I can type with my fingers instead of my knuckles

It should have read, I can hardly wait to see what this month's gas bill will be- and I meant that facetiously!

Pretty sure the bill is going to be what forces me to go out there and disconnect. It will be a sad day.

Bookmark   December 13, 2013 at 4:04PM
don555(3a)

C.Lori, if you've managed to keep things going this long in Canada, you can hold your head high while you unplug the power! In Edmonton we've had snow on the ground since the start of November and have already seen nights as cold as -24F, with daytime highs as cold as -15F, a very cold start to winter! The outdoor stuff was over by the start of October here.

Bookmark   December 14, 2013 at 2:26AM

Not the greatest shot but you get the drift...

Bookmark   December 14, 2013 at 4:11PM
mswiggi(5)

Upstate Ny here, more than a little jealous!

Bookmark   December 14, 2013 at 5:45PM
DMForcier(8 DFW)

You can turn down the temp q bit and do just fine. 50F (vs. 60F) won't bother the plants, just slow them down a bit.

Dennis

Bookmark   December 14, 2013 at 7:28PM
ka0ttic(CFL 9b)

Nice judo!

Bookmark   December 14, 2013 at 10:30PM

Having problems controlling the heat as the heater is oversized for the space. I had to choose between too little (10K btu) or too much (30K btu).

My hair stood on end this morning when I checked the temp in there - 82F- ran in and turned it down to the minimum.

This is a real learning curve for me. Wondering if the snow is helping to insulate those bottom edges.

Just don't know. Obviously I'm totally clueless and managing by the seat of my pants.

Bookmark   December 15, 2013 at 6:11AM
sjetski(6b NJ)

Judo, yes us northerners are jealous :-P, a decent enough variety for a December crop too. My peppers all taste like pickles and powder now :(

Lori, don't let the plants die when you unplug the power, overwinter your favorites to get a serious head start for next year, they'll be monster plants!!

Have fun all,

Steve

This post was edited by sjetski on Sun, Dec 15, 13 at 9:33

Bookmark   December 15, 2013 at 9:31AM
More Discussions
Help for GardenWeb Users
https://support.houzz.com/hc/en-us/sections/200556848-Help-for-GardenWeb-Users...
ronnyb123
After failed germination, I could really use some spare super hot seed
I had 8 varieties, the most mild being Red Savinas...
scuba_steve81
Need A TON of help on bhut jalokias
I'm growing bhut jalokias Carolina reapers and Trinidad...
bigcatcal
Why I Like Tobacco Trays
Have 72 cells, which are cone shaped so the seedlings...
tomt226
Sprouting leaves on peppers drying
My new leaves are going dark and drying off in most...
tomyres
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™