Jeffrey's Bay?

haycarumba99September 27, 2003

I have a pice of property their, and was wondering what would grow on it? It is about 200 feet from the beach and has dunes on it. Are there any palms that could be groing on it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
modjadje(Willamette Valley Zone 8)

haycarumba, Jeffreys Bay is about 40 miles from Port Elizabeth and situated in a mild climate zone where rainfall is spread throughout the year. At the coast, in this zone, frost never occurs but one does nevertheless need a sweater and jacket in the winter.
Palms are not indigenous, but have been planted along the promenade in Port Elizabeth (know as PE for short) where they grow well. These are not coconut palms, though.
The indigenous plants on your Jeffreys Bay plot will most likely be the members of "fynbos" which can grow in coastal sand. The region has many proteas, but i don't expect any to grow right on the ocean in the dunes.

Bookmark   October 1, 2003 at 6:22PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brugpuppy(9)

It's been a while since I was there, but I do not recall seeing any palms in that area, other than the ones mentioned in PE, although Jeffreys as I remember it, was only cottages and not much else :-)

Gardening there was a challenge to say the least! Those monkeys and ostrich were the bane of our lives. Enjoyable as they were they presented a huge problem. Vervet monkey would come right indoors to steal, but the veggie garden never produced much, even though it was outstanding, because the monkeys would steal the works. Not even carrots were safe. Ostrich would pick the buds off everything, including the little loquat tree, but I think the ostriches would have been removed by now. Pineapples, pawpaw (papaya) grew well as did bananas so I would imagine it would be worth trying a palm. Good luck!

Chris

Bookmark   October 6, 2003 at 3:14PM
More Discussions
Streptocarpus wendlandii - my first.
Hello. So after watching gardeners world and Chelsea...
mushibu10
Kaffir Lily Division
I somehow learnt a lesson this season. My kafir lily...
achang89
Propagating crocosmia
Can you propagate this plant by leaf cuttings and if...
wexgardener
black bugs on Mgambo flowers
What can I do to combat tiny black bugs attacking my...
ckekai334
Gerbera Daisies - I am VERY new to this!!
Hi everyone! I am VERY new to gardening. VERY NEW....
JenH1723
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™