More Aloes, Just What I Need

conroe_joe(9a)October 18, 2004

Hi Gang,

I guess I'm addicted to trying out South African succulents that are borderline for this climate (sometimes a bit too cold, and way too wet).

I ordered about 35 new Aloe species seeds this year from 4 vendors.

1. Silverhill Seeds (http://www.silverhillseeds.co.za/)

2. Eurica's Aloes, from seeds to the garden (GardenWeb Forum does not allow listing of this Web address due to anti-WebSpam policies)

3. Mesa Garden (www.mesagarden.com)

4. Penrock Seeds (http://www.penroc.co.za/pages/newslet1103.htm).

There is no doubt about it, I like Aloe. Silverhill and Eurica get my votes for best Aloe seeds and info, with Mesa Garden nearly as good. Mesa Garden gets my vote for widest selection of succlents in general, with best provenance information.

Penrock Seeds is a special case. For sure they are the most expensive (by far), but they do offer Aloe seeds that I have not found anywhere else (including certain grass aloes). They are difficult to deal with if you don't want to send funds via the Post Office, or if you balk at intercontinental bank drafts ($35 to $50 USA). They don't take credit cards, and unlike the other 3 vendors Penrock does not accept PayPal payments.

All the seed, from all the vendors, has germinated well. As usual, there are some misses, but such is the way of seeds.

Cordially,

Conroe Joe

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jeffrey_harris(San Diego, CA)

Dear CJ,

I know that I am one of the heathen, and I really should convert, but I've not yet intentionally grown anything from seed.

Notwithstanding that character defect, are there particular aloes that you're looking for that you would accept as plants? I'm thinking trade here...

Back cordially at you,

El Jeffe de Aloes

Bookmark   October 19, 2004 at 9:55AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
conroe_joe(9a)

Hey El Jeffe,

Thanks for your note. You make me smile because you point out the obvious; growing aloes and growing aloes from seed are 2 very different hobbies. A person can be involved in one and not the other.

Seeds can be a real pain because they take some care and patience, but they are an inexpensive way to increase diversity; there is no way I'm willing to plunk down $5 or $10 (or more) to buy some plants. Seeds range from about 2 cents each (Eurica) to $1 or $2 each (Penrock). I start seeds each winter; this helps with the "patience" part because I have plants of all ages coming along at any given time.

I do have a list of things I am looking for and I'll send it to you. I really haven't made up a list of things I have to trade but perhaps I should.

Cordially,

Conroe Joe

Bookmark   October 20, 2004 at 8:53AM
More Discussions
Protea seed search
Hi, I am looking for some harder to find Protea seeds...
mike726
South-African bulbs - Not all grow in standard potting soil
Except for Watsonia, Homeria, Moraea and some robust...
tired_of_digging
Boophane distichia
I have a very large Boophane distichia bulb (it's in...
stevejohn
Kaffir Lily Division
I somehow learnt a lesson this season. My kafir lily...
achang89
cycads
Where can I sell a collection of Cycads? Not mine....
bev2
Sponsored Products
Luli Sanchez LSF17 Liquorice and White Rectangular: 2 Ft. x 3 Ft. Rug
$74.52 | Bellacor
Skymarks Air Force One Model Airplane - SKR041
$34.69 | Hayneedle
Afina Signature Collection Contemporary Integral Lighted Single Door 17W x 34H i
$770.00 | Hayneedle
Cubic Contemporary Sofa in Gray
$999.99 | Dot & Bo
Elk Lighting 20001/3L-BG Galaxy 3-Light Pendant in Brown & Satin Nickel Finish
Beyond Stores
Sage Lavish Home Series Sheet Set
$19.99 | zulily
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™